Friday, October 05, 2012

lamplight muskegon atavism


"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand."  (Cat's Cradle)


My book class this morning was very frustrating, we were doing folded books where the measurements have to be quite exact, the folds have to go three or four different ways, and then it's supposed to open from both sides.  Well I had a helluva time, finally figured out that my folds weren't very accurate-  one was all of 1/16th of an inch off and I could NOT get it to work for the life of me.  OK, I didn't like it much and didn't want to spend time on it!  Meanwhile another gal in class had spent FIVE HOURS at her computer lining up photographic images exactly so it would all fit together and make four different images telling a story.  Her hard work showed-  it was amazing what she went through lining up two sides of printing on a page and making sure the cut out areas would all be where they were planned to be.  Ain't an art form for me if it can't be stretched!  

We then made a tabbed concertina, a simple form that I plowed right through and it all fit the way it should after I lopped off a half inch.  I'll be making more of those.  We put hard covers on both ends.  We have a homework assignment to make a hard book before next week which I'll work on tomorrow. I have some lovely hand made papers that I'll make the signatures from, then use the waxed linen to fancy-stitch it together, perhaps something I can do on the plane-  at least that was the pressure put on me from the other students!  We'll see-  it's not fun trying to stitch these things together while jammed in so close.  I'll take pictures tomorrow.

I'm heading back to Boston for the weekend to attend my niece's wedding and see my grandkids.  They are actually coming over to spend Saturday with us and I understand it's been raining all week-  sure hope it stops so we can get to the playground-  I don't have a lot for kids to do in a house with no food and no art supplies.  Anyway, I'm sure I'll have fun with them, it's been a long time.


 Macaron Candles???  Why?  You can't eat them and they certainly don't have a very long 'burn'.  Instead, buy real macarons, especially the Blue Ones
Maps, folded into perfect little dresses by London based artist Elisabeth Lecourt. Sigh… fantastic. All of these pieces are from her series titled Les Robes Geographiques.


 A new Tibetan puppy!  Not for me, but cousin of the guys I already have.  Cute as all get-out.
 And the New Puppy warning!  How true.  I can never remember WHICH pet...




 Happy red fish" is an Amsterdam based creative studio operated by Hagar Vardimon-van Heummen,   Happy red fish - thread art and design.  Hand stitchery on photographs.

Artist Robin Protz created an incredible suspended sculpture of a dragon made up of 40,000 golden buttons hanging from 4,000 fluorocarbon lines. The massive 18'x12'x8' piece was an early favorite at ArtPrize, the world's largest art competition going on now in Grand Rapids, Michigan, making the top 25 list and quickly becoming a part of the "Did you see it?" conversation. Many called the work their favorite and were sadly disappointed when they learned that The Dragon, by Robin Protz, was disqualified from the competition because it had violated one of ArtPrize's rules.
The rules state that the artwork must be completed within three years prior to September 19, 2012. When they spotted Protz's YouTube video of "Nelligan The Dragon" in 2008, they decided it was identical to the one currently exhibited inside the Amway Grand Plaza. Protz released a statement defending her piece saying the dragon "was related, but not the same
No squirrels, no bunnies.

No comments :