Thursday, September 12, 2013

cosmopolitan psychopathic parentage

a picture and a quote all in one today!

Raced to the studio first thing this morning and slapped one of the quilts up on the wall to take it's portrait and wouldn't you know, dead battery.  But unbeknownst to me I had a charged one ready to go-  when did I ever get a spare battery?  I don't know but perhaps it was due to foresight wisdom and not dumb luck. Anyway, it took a long time making sure all the thrums were off the surface and it got a nice wet rubdown to remove, not dog hair, but MY hair.  I have a habit of sewing hair into my seams, not attractive.  But I got both done, got their folders made, and ready to stick into photoshop to resize.  I've started a new system here with completed projects so we'll see how it works.  I open a text edit window and put in all the info I may need like title, date, size, materials and techniques.  Then I save that and all the associated images, originals, print, and web version, in the same folder.  Perhaps I'll also add the 'stories' for whoever has to clean out my stuff someday but that will have to wait for a long time being bedridden with nothing to do.  And a looming retrospective.  Like that would ever happen.

Home again right away with a trunk load of food, and now I am here ready to work on the photos to get that part done.  Unfortunately I can't yet post these pieces because I am planning on entering one of them in an upcoming show, and the other one is slated as a gift.  I'll post as soon as I am either accepted or the gift is given.  All my fingers are crossed for both.

Again today I am focussing on the SOMETHIN' FROM NUTHIN' theme here-  I can't believe how many posts I see with this kind of art- I guess artists will use whatever they can lay their hands on wherever they are.  My husband always accuses me of this-  we are on vacation somewhere warm and I am braiding palm fronds.  I finger-knit with found twine.  If I find a soft soap I will carve away at it.  I can see why it may be annoying but I put up with stuff from him that also irritates, don't we all?  But back to showing you stuff:



The Minneapolis designer Kelly English said her hand-woven willow playhouse, the Thicket. Wanting her daughter, Clover, to connect with the natural world, she built the 6-foot-tall womblike structure, which is her answer to the plastic playhouse. It was such a hit among her friends that she started making them to order last October through her company, Cheeriup. It’s a business that cycles with the seasons: In the fall and winter, Ms. English harvests saplings and cures them in her studio, and in the spring and summer she builds her thickets on site, weaving each shelter two branches at a time.






 Jennifer Collier , again but this time it's cameras.  But I love her work so much I might keep going back again and again.  From her statement:
'My practice focuses on creating work from paper; by bonding, waxing, trapping and stitching I produce unusual paper ‘fabrics’, which are used to explore the ‘remaking’ of household objects. The papers are treated as if cloth, with the main technique employed being stitch; a contemporary twist on traditional textiles. The papers themselves serve as both the inspiration and the media for my work, with the narrative of the books and papers suggesting the forms. I tend to find items then investigate a way in which they can be reused and transformed; giving new life to things that would otherwise go unloved or be thrown away.'



  
Oh, so odd-  Guim Tió Zarraluki is a Spanish mixed media artist who creates work that transforms magazines into haunting and abstract images. Much of his work features portraits sourced from magazine advertisements. He alters the page with chemicals and oil pastels, transforming these “picture perfect” models into abstract, and sometimes unsettling, figures. His work maintains a photorealistic sensibility while containing something haunting and foreboding. If you look carefully, you’ll notice that the artist has left a small part of the magazine untouched or barely altered, leaving a trace of the original during his process. Tió also has a photography series of human figures with faces painted in a similar aesthetic, turning his form back in on itself to create abstracted figurative images.





No comments :