Monday, September 08, 2014

effusion longevity anecdote




You end up becoming who you are by jumping into that circle of fear – that's how it's done. (Paula Abdul)



Spending an inordinate amount of time getting back to where things should have been the minute we opened the door here!  I stopped at Publix yesterday to buy the dog's rotisserie chicken (don't ask...) and my new replacement card was rejected.  So today, cashless, I have to go screaming into the bank to get this straightened out.  I was finally able to reach JetBlue to cancel my flight back from Boston, scheduled for tomorrow, and a cancel  costs $100.  The flight was $118.  So I now have an $18 credit with them, yes, it's highway SKYWAY robbery!  And I had ordered 2 mirrors for the new house because I found them on the inner tubes for a good price-  finally got around to checking them before taking them to store in my studio, and one of them was broken so I had to check on that from the place I found it, but it seems I have no claim because it arrived here in July and that is over their 30 day return policy.  Crap Crap Crap.

But, on the other hand, at another market I found a whole rack of home roasted Hatch chiles so I bought two tubs.  We are having a chile fest here.  I've never seen them out of the southwest so this is tasty thrill.  OK, I'm done whining.  Let's get down to business:




Circular canvasses by Belgian painter Stefan Peters. I loved them immediately, but it took me a second to figure out why… it’s the shadows! These gorgeous, muted landscapes almost look like circular shadow boxes, with the trees and clouds sitting closer to us than the sky/rest of the forest. So beautiful… and not tiny! These circular canvases range in size from 20″ to  44″ in diameter.   Beautiful!  I want them all.





Lin Tianmiao is a Chinese born artist who studied in the U.S.A during the early 1980’s, where she soon become a successful textile designer. Her career as an artist did not begin until she moved back to China in 1994 with her artist husband where they opened up their hutong studio to show their works to the public. She was quickly placed into the group of female Chinese artists making nuxing yishu ‘female art’.  Lin Tianmiao’s paintings, sculptures, and installations have always been about a series of dual tensions. These are frequently played out in her works through contrasts between materials, but they are also evident in binary themes such as male versus female, function versus form, and physical versus psychological experience. Underlying all of these themes is a keen exploration of a physical experience, at times emphasizing the female body.




Here we have the giant inflatable bunnies of Amanda Parer. The Australian artist created these huge white rabbits that stand over seven metres tall as a dual response to the overriding presence of rabbits in fairytales as well as their detrimental impact on the eco system of her country.

‘These animals first travelled to Australia on the ships of the First Fleet and were brought ashore in cages in January 1788. These adaptable creatures quickly made themselves at home and eventually spread to almost every corner of the land. Intrude represents the fairy-tale animals of our childhood – a furry innocence, frolicking through idyllic fields, while revealing their more serious and large-scale effect on the environment.’


And finally, the Squirrel du Jour.  Poor little guy doesn't have a clue.  Love the doggy nonchalance, like there is always somebody burying nuts in their fur.



No comments :