Tuesday, July 28, 2015

looseleaf plateau sceptic

Go on working, freely and furiously, and you will make progress. -- Paul Gauguin


Rescued baby squirrel, 'Biscuit', in a shirt pocket.



Today I am sitting in the condo and three guys are racing around putting stuff in boxes and wrapping furniture in plastic. I did a great deal of it but  left the breakables for them so it would be insured.  Halfway through the day, and it's 1 PM or so.  They come back tomorrow to put it on the truck and take it all to storage until we have a place to unload.  I sort offload  them around vacuuming corners and behind where beds have stood 16 years without moving. worrying how much longer the poor vacuum will suck!  After they leave tomorrow we have 1-800-GOT JUNK coming to haul off 16 years worth of outdated electronics and a whole sack full of cords.  Amazing how it collects, eh?  





Created as a set of billboards along two Massachusetts highways, “Healing Tool” is a temporary public art installation by artist Brian Kane produced to temporarily relieve stress and promote introspection during one’s monotonous daily commute. Kane’s digital billboards circulate between pictures of surrounding natural environments, creating “unvertisements” that promote, well...nothing.






In a fantastic attempt at urban renewal, the government of Mexico recently collaborated with a group of local street artists called Germen Crew to paint a 20,000 square meter mural across the facades of 209 homes in the district of Palmitas in Pachuca, Mexico. The project was intended to bring about visual and social transformation by temporarily providing jobs and, according to some reports, reduce crime and violence in the neighborhood.


More from John Waters at the RISD commencement:
Waters on the trigger warning:The amazing concept I’ve heard about that you’re supposed to warn students if you’re going to talk about something that challenges their values. I thought that’s why you went to college.Trigger number one:Don’t hate all rich people. They’re not all awful. Believe me I know some evil poor people too. We need some rich people. Who else is going to back our movies and buy our art? I’m rich! I don’t mean money-wise, I mean that I have figured out how to never be around assholes at any time in my personal and professional life. That’s rich. And not being around assholes should be the goal of every graduate here today.The side note to the parents:The truth of maturity will come to families if every member is patient. I look back and wonder how understanding my parents were …. My parents made me feel safe. And that’s why I’m up here today. And that’s what you should try to do to your children, too. No matter where you get your children these days.The final trigger:Go out in the world and fuck it up beautifully. Design clothes so hideous they can’t be worn ironically. Horrify us with new ideas. Outrage outdated critics. Use technology for transgression not lazy social living. Make me nervous …. It’s time to get busy. It’s your turn to cause trouble. But this time in the real world, and this time from the inside.




No comments :