Wednesday, August 12, 2015

scapula baptist narcissist

"I paint in order not to cry," (Paul Klee) 




OK, youse guys, since there has been clamoring for my Watermelon Pickle recipe (OK, two requests...but for the Muse, it's clamoring!), here ya go:


Watermelon Pickles

YIELD: Makes about 3 1/2 cups
INGREDIENTS
1 4-pound piece watermelon, quartered
8 cups water
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
8 whole cloves
8 whole black peppercorns
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon pickling spice  
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
(unaccustomed as I am to pickling, I didn't have any and didn't think such a small amount mattered much so I left out the pickling spice.  I could have looked up what was in it but got a bee in my bonnet to make it IMMEDIATELY so happily skipped over it)
We call this Artistic License.

PREPARATION
Cut watermelon pulp from rind, leaving thin layer of pink on rind (reserve pulp for another use). Cut green outer skin from rind; discard. Cut enough rind into 1 x 1/2-inch pieces to measure 4 cups. Combine 8 cups water and 2 tablespoons salt in large pot; bring to boil. Add rind pieces and boil until tender, about 5 minutes. Strain. Transfer rinds to large metal bowl.
Combine remaining 2 teaspoons salt, sugar and next 7 ingredients in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour over watermelon rinds in bowl. Place plate atop rinds to keep rinds submerged in pickling liquid. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
Strain liquid from rinds into saucepan; bring to boil. Pour over rinds. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Repeat straining and boiling of liquid and pour over rinds 1 more time. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Chill in covered jars.)


Mixed bag today-  ran to the house to let the guys in to deliver my new fire pit (fittingly, for the money pit!), then ran to the studio to finish up the hat I started yesterday-  oh yeah, you need a picture.  TWO DAYS LATER, here I am with the picture-  nice the jaunty angle of the hat perched on a hurricane lamp:
Now, to find someplace to wear the damn thing.

I added more 'bubbles' to the waterfall.

And I finished all the branches on the rusty piece, at least this pass-over of it.  Next I will tackle one type of the leaves so they somewhat match .  Doing intuitive sewing is hard for me, I've drawn the lines now I'm coloring in, but geese, I want to break out.  No wonder I don't do this kind of stuff.

Yuk Yuk Yuk, so, I also got the vacuum out and completely vacuumed of the design wall-  it was a thread mess and now is back to pristine and ready for something new.  Then I did the floor, at least the part I could get to.

This morning's Rail Fence bacon.  I can't stop...

And I finally settled on a loft room wallpaper-  I've gotten samples from all over Hell's half Acre ranging from cheesy to one that I, of course, LOVED that would run me $7000 for ONE ROOM and the room only has three walls...  Needless to say I scraped that idea.  But a flash hit me last night and I went to Spoonflower to design the exact polka dot I want-  irregular, medium scale, and black on white.  Well, hot damn, somebody already has one exactly what I want and it means I won't have to stencil all that yardage (my fall-back thought).  Will order it tonight.  And as much as it is going to cost me, it's at least a normal price!  Wish I could say *I* designed it but why go through all that if it's already there?  


So, since I have nothing else to report, I guess I'll show you some arty stuff:



Thomas Mailaender’s creative use of sunburns in his project “Illustrated People” combines the surface of the human body with already existing negatives of photographs to create stunning and unusual results. His project consists essentially of manufacturing sunburns: he does this by placing negatives on his subjects bodies, and shining a UV light on the designated area. The light from the lamp shines onto the subject’s skin and, around the negatives in such a way that the image from the negative is reproduced. This method yields fascinating results that draw your attention, not only because of the photographs on display, but also the way he transforms the sheer pain of sunburn into a work of art themselves.





Karine Jollet is a soft sculptor from France.“The body as an enigma, I explore it, step by step, like a space that I need to reconstruct, to unify. Fabrics are materials that came naturally to me as an analogy to our own biological tissues: bones, fibres, crystals… I start with old bed sheets and shirts, embroidered handkerchiefs and second-hand fabrics that I cut up, put the fragments together, pad them and then sew them by hand. In this way I reconstruct different body parts (arms, legs, heads) and several organs and bone structures. Then, acting as a mirror to anatomic parts, I create symbolic forms: crystals made of pearls, flowers, animals, fantastic creatures, allegories, dreams. 

Flamingos picking the bones clean of a T Rex.  Vicious things!



No comments :