Wednesday, January 27, 2016

aniseikonic hang cit

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead





Pouring rain again here, so depressing!  We had 3" of rain before noon and it's supposed to continue all day tomorrow too.  Couldn't get out the door all morning so plunked about here making beds and looking up recipes for Indian food.  Gave up on that because every one I looked at had some ingredient I knew I wouldn't be able to find.  Green mangos?  Tamarind sauce?  Hell no, I'll just go to an Indian restaurant.  

By noon I was going a bit stir crazy so took off to the studio. I worked on the cover of a book for the challenge I am doing and while each layer dried I'd work on a top I started out of some pretty great Japanese fabric I've been hoarding for a couple of years.  I am going to do my best to use this stuff up and THROW OUT the edges and tiny pieces I cut off.  I am also throwing out bent and sticky pins, dried up glue...

                 oh nuts, I bet I forgot to cap the glue I used today.  

Another something to throw out!And tomorrow I will empty the huge waste baskets before they topple over.  If it's not raining still.

When I am in the studio I listen to Boston NPR on internet radio because it keeps me interested.  Today they reported a shooting of a couple people and a stabbing or two before throwing them out of the car.   Then a chase through town but no details other than the car they were looking for.  An hour later I got a text from my DIL and she said they were 'sheltered in place' (with my grand-toddler) at the nursery school in the Temple down the street from their apartment.  The police were outside-  I had no idea it was all happening around them or I would have been frantic.  I hope they will be allowed to go home soon and that they catch the guy/s.  Scary people out there. 

Off to the Ale House for dinner-  no cookie', yea!  Only a few minutes to post something arty:

Today we are looking at stuff made with other stuff.







 If you go down to the woods today, you're sure for a big surprise. The surprise being that you might discover they're made entirely out of cardboard. That will certainly be the case if you come across the work of Paris-based sculptor and artist Eva Jospin who creates dense and enchanting forests out of a material that ultimately originates from trees.











                 
In his series Animal Farm, Miami-based Colombian artist Federico Uribe creates beautiful animal sculptures using the most ordinary, everyday objects, including everything from thousands of shoes, champagne corks, coloured pencils and shoe laces.
Born in Bogota, Uribe's artwork resists classification. Rooted in the craft of sculpture and paint, it rises from intertwining everyday objects in all possible and surprising ways, but still with a formal reference to the history and tradition of classical art.

No comments :