Tuesday, February 16, 2016

awl fairy kangaroo


fiona-3


fiona-2


fiona-1


fiona-1

BE ALL IN OR GET ALL OUT There is no half way.  James Victore


Nuthin' like living in the tropics-  here are some strange pigeons!  Begging!  Who knew.


Well the last house guest left today and right about now should be landing in Boston.  TY and I got in the hot tub a bit before it was up to temperature-  OK it was cold enough that I had a hard time submerging the rib area.  But it got warmer.  And warmer still.  And I was about to go into a coma when I realized I still had to figure out dinner.  Wow, it was delicious~  the hot tub, not the dinner!

I spent the afternoon messing up my two Artist's Book collaborations.  Whenever I think something is done, I need to just add one ore thing...  big mistake.  Fortunately I was able to replicate back to where I started the other day when it was declared done.  Now it really is done, just have to glue on the backing with the poems and stories and mail out.  Mañana.  And that will be off my list.

I've been waiting to hear about a submission to a show and finally got word today that I didn't make the cut.  Oh well.  I think I am losing my touch-  back in 'the day' I rarely got rejections and kind of forgot how to deal with it.  Now, in this day, my way to deal is to yawn and see where else I might send it along.  It's a good piece and I'd love to get it shown some more before it gets tatty and shopworn and joins the logs o' quilts stacked in the bathroom!

We haven't talked about art in a long time and I've been hoarding a couple of files to stick on for you- Today we are talking about giant murals so we'll start here with the MUD mural:






Artist and painter Yusuke Asai did a mud mural for Houston’s Rice Gallery. Working day and night with a team of assistants, the Japanese artist, who is known for his “earth paintings” made from locally sourced mud and dirt, spent just under 2 weeks covering the walls and floors of the gallery with soil collected in Houston. “There are so many kinds of soil in Houston and Texas,” says Asai. “Initially I had hoped for 10 different shades, and ended up with 27: the widest spectrum of colors representing a specific place that I have ever used.”  But why mud, you might wonder? Asai explains: “Dirt is by nature very different than materials sold in art stores.” Seeds grow in it and it is home to many insects and micro organisms. It is a ‘living’ medium.”  The resulting large-scale mural is titled yamatane (mountain seed, in Japanese) and features real and imaginary creatures and plants. 



Vancouver-based artist Fiona Tang creates large-scale murals of animals using charcoal, chalk pastel, and acrylic on paper that at first glance appear 3D. Tang makes use of a technique called trompe l’oeil where shadows and perspective within the two dimensional drawing are used to trick the viewer into thinking the piece is three dimensional. Tang recently graduated from Emily Carr University of Art and Design
The calendar is in my favor again tomorrow so I will spend the bulk of the day in the studio-  this is (almost) a habit again, thankfully.  A ways to go to get there every day like before, but a start.

No comments :