Sunday, February 28, 2016

bonneville crewel caliber




Squirrels eat avocados, who knew?

Cleaning out the dustbins of my desktop where I store stuff that would drive Marie Kondo wild with OCD cleaning fever.  So none of this stuff is  related to anything in particular.

Right off the MEN'S runway at fashion week.  Fashion Weak?  Sorry, I like my men sans rhinestone cats eye glasses except maybe on Halloween.  I also like them older, hairier, and beefier.  Good thing I am in my declining years and don't have to see more of this.


Books! 



Enjoying these folded book sculptures by photographer Cara BarerWith the discarded books that I have acquired, I am attempting to blur the line between objects, sculpture, and photography. This project has become a journey that continues to evolve. […] No important books have been injured during the making of any of these photographs.



 Portraits carved from phone books by artist Alex Queral. This is just about the only good use of a phone book I can think of.  Taking an ordinary phone book, Alex Queral carves a face into this object of so many faceless names. With the book, a very sharp X-ACTO® knife, a little pot of acrylic medium to set detail areas and a great deal of talent, Queral literally peels away the pages like the skin of an onion to reveal the portrait within. Once the carving is complete, he will often apply a black wash to enhance the features and then seal the entire book with acrylic to preserve the work. However, he never loses the line registration; and the book remains quite pliable.




And now Sunday is almost over again.  I spent a few hours working on the second last living room pillow for the couch-  one more to go and I am retiring from home dec forever more!  I have STUFF to dothan's more interesting, maybe even a bit arty.  I"ve been working on collages for this book group I joined and have finished two with one more in the last stages.  It's done what i wanted-  made me want to be in the studio more!

Yesterday I met some old friends and we toured the Palm Beach Fine Craft Fair.  I was glad to meet some new artists whose work I have admired for long times but I think the artist numbers are down this year.  The place was crowded by noon so I hope that they did well.  By noon we needed lunch so left.  I intended to take another swing through but was beat by the time I got back to the convention center.  And I was out of money because I bought a great jacket!  Good thing i had it togo to dinner last night-  who would think I'd need a felted wool jacket here!  There were sure a bunch of other things I also loved but acquiring stuff at this stage is dumb-  nobody wants it and I don't go anywhere to use it now!  It seemed to be the mantra for my friends too as our largest  purchase (outside of the jacket) was lunch!

No comments :