Saturday, April 02, 2016

sans lockout millipede

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.




Another day at the studio, another tiny bit picked up, and another shirt put together, in fact, it was put together SO WELL that I wore it to our Club Trivia game last night and out of 250 people there we actually WON for once. Pity it's the end of the season.  We divided up over $400 amongst our table and were jolly well skipping home afterwards.  We usually come in much lower but somehow we matched minds on 60's tv shows and managed to arrange them in sequence of when they first appeared.  Pure accident that we got them right but my lips are sealed.    And you can be assured that my new shirt will now be worn exclusively to Trivia for luck.  

But more about the studio-  today I am headed back because I started cutting out some of the old Kaffe stripes so dear to my heart, my fave fabrics ever.  I have been hoarding them and they are begging to become something so I am slicing and dicing and will make something stripey when I get the squares all stacked.  Also, as soon as I get that mess off my table I have to start rolling up about 20 quilts shipped to me last summer along with the squirrel's winter worth of acorns.  



From the Huffington Post a while back-  and why I don't use my art to donate to charity in more edited words than I could write:

Mat Gleason: The Career Benefits of Boycotting Charity Art Auctions
•You stop taking revenue out of the art world
•You stop shifting art collector dollars to the bottomless pits of recurring annual Beg-A-Thons•You don't contextualize your art as being a synonym of pretentious panhandling•You don't announce that your art is worth low bids•You don't risk that your work will be publicly seen getting no bids•You don't empower strangers to devalue your artwork•Most importantly, you stop publicly proclaiming that you give your art away



That said, my current charity for quilts is dog rescue and I have to start cutting and binding some of the ones the kennels can use and that can be washed-  not my long suit!  I must go over them for loose stitching and any appliqué or embellishments that wont be thoroughly washable before I can haul them over to the doggies.  Should keep me busy for a long time.  Meanwhile at the end of the month there is a Rabbit Rescue day going on.  I know the rabbits would eat quilts-  personal experience there, but I need to take care of the bunnies too.  Maybe all my colleges will stop calling me for money if I can say I sent my whole allotment to the rabbits?   I can see them drawing a line through my name now...


Part 2, the continuation of yesterday's video about Creativity.  Enjoy.




Finland-based Mottowasabi have come up with a helmet that keeps out noise and annoying co-workers.  Designed by Anna Salonen and Yuki Abe, the Tomato is a felt hood that acts like a bubble, removing visual and audio distractions in the workplace. You can set it on a table or let it stand on its own. Either way, the cocoon-like helmet gives you the private space you need in an open-plan office.  “[It] helps you to create an immediate territory of your own by eliminating elements that interfere with your concentration, such as noise or visual distractions,” said Abe. “At the same time, it signals to others that you are not to be disturbed.  

Yup, I need to get me one.


No comments :