Thursday, August 11, 2016

aggressive virgin aggressor


“Turning pro is like kicking a drug habit or stopping drinking. 
It’s a decision, a decision to which we must re-commit every day.” (Steven Pressfield)







Thought I'd shake up the format today and show you a squirrel photographer as our ART PART

Crawling on the ground for hours at a time in the middle of winter at the mouth of a cave doesn’t sound like a particularly fun time, but for Finland-based photographer Konsta Punkka it’s a necessary sacrifice to get the perfect photograph … of a mouse. At the age of only 21, the budding wildlife photographer has proven himself wildly capable of capturing affectionate portraits at extremely close quarters of squirrels, birds, foxes, and other woodland animals.


Today I made it to the studio by 8:30 and woke all day long until I got stuck in all my fellow industrial park workers line to go home at 5.  I managed to get a lot done, like consolidating three PVA glue bottles into one, then cleaning up the dripping glue when I knocked one full one over.  Like gather ing together all the big plastic bins and arranging them by size, then putting the tops inside the first bin by size-  and it reaches over my head, and fell over so I did it twice.  Like washing out the laundry sink which is caked with gradeau from months of washing brushes and cleaning up messes.  Like cleaning the dead ants out of my two coffee mugs and realizing that they are probably what has kept me from making coffee all this time.  And then scouring them to almost sparkle like new.

Then, since the glue was out I finished up the Habitat for one of my Artists Book Collaborators-  here
I kind of played a trick on her, it was supposed to be 5.5"x7.5" and it is-  but it's also 3" deep, not advised for a book page BUT, you doubters, it collapses into a flat pancake.  Like a pop-down book page (because it doesn't pop UP)  Anyway, it's ready to mail tomorrow.

And then there was nothing left to do but tackle what in hell I could DO with 300 8" circles so here's the drill, one circle from the center of each 24" square from every quilt I have-

So, I cut bias binding and ran it around ALL the edges and, yea verily it Worked!

And they are shingled up and pinned to a backing fabric where I will tack them down tomorrow, and Saturday, and probably Sunday too!


Clamshells!  This one I am calling OGEE after the Ogee pattern, as in, "Ogee, Sandy!  WTF?"
And all is well with the world except now I have 600 of THESE since I get 2 off every circle
The lord giveth and the lord taketh away, dammit.
What am I gonna do with 600 more pieces, I most certainly will not bind them, and my Yankee upbringing won't allow a throw-out.  Oy.





So, another ART PART today, in the regular space.  But I am putting it up because it is so cool, little pins arranged on a board with tiny sequin-like disks that make a portrait by varying the heights and concentrations of the pins
Now, you're gonna think I am nuts, but as you change your vantage point and the portrait comes into focus, this IS my mom!  Well, not really since she has been dead now for 14 years but this is an exact likeness of her, but there's nobody around to collaborate my view!

So it's up to you- Geneva, 1973
See?????



No comments :