Tuesday, September 27, 2016

visitation cosmopolitan visitor (post #2446)

“Anxiety is the essential condition of intellectual and artistic creation and everything that is finest in human history.” (Charles Frankel


Hmm, I think I will start a Kickstarter to get enough money to buy maybe 5 or 6 of these little guys for Thanksgiving candles. 

Well, surprise surprise, it's raining again. I've been trying to exit the house all day but olde doggie needs to be let out every 20 minutes or so, I feel like I am her valet these days-  when she gets screwed up on her insulin she has to pee constantly-  and that's my new reality.  i'M JUST REAL HAPPY WHEN SHE ASKS TO GO OUT.  Lately she is bypassing normal doggie channels

Actually I have gotten a lot done today but none of it shows.  I just know it.  I got dressed.  I juiced put a little watermelon and cleaned up that drippy mess.  I made potatoes for dinner. I wove in stray ends on the new sweater that's still a bit damp after 3 days.  I filled all the salt shakers with different kinds of salt-  I've got your Kosher salt, I've got black salt, I've got Himalayan pink salt, and the newest one is flaked salt-  little flaky panels to just sprinkle on top of things.  That doesn't count the Allepo pepper and honey salt mix somebody gave me (sounds awful but pretty good on chicken.)

I'm not gonna talk about Trump, promise-  he is a detriment to society and the world as we know it.  Even *I*, the most apolitical person you know- or almost know- am appalled.  I bet even Melania-the-dull could poke holes in his platform.
This can't be happening.

But I'm here to talk about art so let's have at it.  How about two 
ART PARTS today so I don't have to go out in the rain?


   
stained glass, gravestone
                                ceramics, wooden gate








walkway, and finally, the book
An enigmatic trio of rabbits running in a circle appears on centuries of art, from medieval churches in England to Buddhist caves in China. While each bunny seems to have two ears, the symbol is actually a visual puzzle: a total of three ears connects them in their endless loop. Some believe the rabbits symbolize eternity; others think they stand for fertility. Still others consider them a representation of the connection between the heavens and the Earth. The original meaning of the three hares motif remains obscure, but its cross-cultural significance inspired three researchers to spend over two decades traveling the world to unravel some of its arcane history.  Released as a limited-edition book by Skerryvore Productions, The Three Hares: A Curiosity Worth Regarding was created by archaeologist Tom Greeves, art historian Sue Andrew, and photographer Chris Chapman. All three are based in Devon, England, where there are 17 churches with three hares on their oak bosses (roundels often found on the ceiling). The book evolved from the group’s Three Hares Project, and includes thorough essays by Andrew and Greeves alongside Chapman’s images, chronicling their trek to trace the evolution of the symbol.  
Love the decorations on old machines.  This looks like a fancied-up version of my mom's old treadle that she finally had electrified when it became apparent;t the world was plugging in.  This is the (electrified and less fancy) machine I learned to sew on.  I recently found an auction site with a gazillion of these available-  if I had the room I'd buy them all just to have on shelves.  There's  a restaurant here that has old mechanical meat grinder collections on shelves dividing the bar from the sit-down side.  I love to see them being used.  My former photographer had an amazing collection of irons displayed throughout his studio-  hundreds of them.  But there was a fire that completely destroyed his studio and he never started collecting again.  I had a friend back in Wellesley (the town, not the college) who collected doll houses and they took over the complete second floor of her house.  She had glass shaves all around the rooms and you could open the doors to arrange or redecorate rooms from every imaginable era.  I was so hoping I could get my hands in there to mess around but I think she knew by the look in my eyes that I'd take over as curator!  And I'm not even a miniatures kinda person!  

Instead my collections are old textiles and lordy, they sure take up room.  My rule is that every quilt I make has to be at least 50% vintage textiles.  My favorites of course are the ones where they are entirely old fabric.  I really haven't acquired any additional fabrics this way since I was in Brattleboro a few years back and met a woman who had a very edited collection of amazing old fabric.  I bought some and am still hoarding it for ...something...I dunno what.


Another Art Part?  

A Lego guinea pig, who woulda thunk it?

Parakeet

Parrot and baby




I was going to give you just two or three but I you don't decide!  Here's German artist Felix Jaensch has an uncanny ability to translate the ruffle of parrot feathers or the lumpy fur of orangutans into lifelike LEGO sculptures. He shares many of his original designs on Flickr and a few pieces including the red fox are available is DIY kits through MOC Nation. He’s also trying to get support on LEGO Ideas for his guinea pig design.  Imagine his family stepping on Lego all over 
the house...OUCH!



No comments :