Friday, October 13, 2017

disgustingly whereabouts spokespeople

“Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly,
is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.” 

Kurt Vonnegut 

Wow-  look at the claws they were born with!

Yet another day of rain off and on here but I got to the studio just as it was starting and I vowed to finish up all the clothes I have bought this past year that need alterations of one sort or another.  So, rip and sew I did all day long.  I finished a blouse that I was never happy with so I cut it up the front, added binding, and put on a bunch of old bakelite buttons and one working snap at the top.  I'll give it another chance at seeing daylight before I take it to Goodwill.  Also put gussets in the sleeves of a shirt that was too tight and I never felt good in-  love the chunky linen fabric, but not so much how it pulled at my arms.  Now I can wear it.
 
Another blouse I've had lying around but never going anywhere-  I didn't like the neckline so I found the small piece of the plaid I used for a binding and took off the round neck and made it a V.  I think I like the way it lies much better, but again, this it it's Last Chance before getting tossed.
Two pairs of pants needed hemming because my leg length doesn't match my girth measurement so off with a few inches on 2 pairs of good dress pants.  One pair I like so much I need to see if I can find more but I don't even remember where I bought them or when-  they have permanent wrinkles in them from lying at the bottom of the to-do pile.  Another pair stymied me because the hem has a kick pleat in it and it was a pita to hem, plus it is black, the bane of my existance for hand sewing.  And finally a new pair of pajamas that arrived Huge even though I ordered my correct size.  Finally I decided that having big floppy pajamas bottoms is fine so I lopped off 4 inches on those.  That about successfully freed up a chair that was piled high.

Yea Me.

I have opted IN to a third round with my Altered Book group.  It's been fun and a good challenge to come up with 9 different pieces to mail out, one per month. Last time around I did them all at once from cutting up some large collages I had made.  I only had to bind them and add a few doodads to make them finished.  This year we haven't set up the challenge yet so we'll see what happens.  I'm sure I can find some aspect of it that will push me along.  And I still have to make a binder or something to keep the last round together.  The first round we started with the bound book though I haven't permanently added the pages yet. And that year we picked our own theme that the others had to stick with. 

ART PART

Yup, Balloons.



Setting that unreachable bar for kid parties!
  Masayoshi Matsumoto (previously here and here) doesn’t twist up your average balloon animal creations. Instead, the Japanese artist produces larger than life beetle larva and spider crabs, creating latex masterpieces that blow away the simplistic balloon animals we’ve come to expect. Multi-colored and not bound to any particular species, the works are incredibly realistic interpretations of the animals they imitate, making the requests at your child’s next birthday particularly bizarre. You can see more of his insects and animals on his Facebook, Tumblr, and Instagram.

And with that, Happy Ada Lovelace Day!

No comments :