Tuesday, October 03, 2017

scolecite subglacially semiotical

“For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.” (Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche)

So, I have a big poster of this hanging quote, or a more con temporized version,in my studio, and never knew it was a Nietzsche observation.  Mine is ripped from a book by Michael Godard and it's this one:

But there are lots more too:
The scribble and the Picasso

The T-shirt, and the vintage which kind of is my favorite!  
In my cleaning frenzy I tossed out several beers from my refrigerator the other day, but hold on, don't tsk tsk me-  they had been in there for at least 5 years since my first Open Studios.  And the electricity had been out there for 10 days thanks to Irma.  I wasn't even gonna try to drink them.

In fact, about the cleaning frenzy-  I went to put in a package of cheese the other day knowing I would be there for hours.  When I opened the door I found little shit from a critter so immediately went into clean-the-refrigerator mode.  I got the little shelves cleaned and the glass tray, and finally pulled out the drawer and threw it into the sink.  And suddenly saw a Palmetto Bug-  that is a giant steroidal cockroach to you non-Floridians.  The size of a silver dollar.
I quickly tuned on my vacuum and entered him onto his own rainbow bridge.  And finished cleaning the refrigerator out completely.  I don't know how he got in there, but he did seem somewhat stunned.

This led to scouring the filthy art sink (even though I have never seen a sink in any classroom or studio that would qualify as clean in any way).  Nothing worked but at least I got the top layer of crud clean.   The sink cleaning evolved into paint cup cleaning, then some hardened brush cleaning, then cleaning out the tips of the needle-holed glue squeeze bottles.

And so it goes, everything I touch turns into another giant mess.  But look, I forgot the SQUIRREL DU JOUR!  How I do go on.



But, back to the studio.  I got the rug down, the little cups I bought to keep the insulation wall above the wet floor, ripped off the dirty barkcloth covering the reading chairs, dusted and captured cobwebs that were turning yellow with age,  and threw out handfuls of stuff that kept rising to the top-  ripped paper, ripped fabric, wads of thread, loose needles, things I started and stopped but weren't bad enough to throw out, until now...  AND I got the two largest insulation boards covered with the new bright white flannel sheets.  All this was possible because I finally cleared off one working table and I could spread it out.  I only have the 3' x8' panel left to do and it will be a piece o cake today.

While fleeing the flannel to the back of the first insulation board I ran out of glue.  I didn't want to use the spray adhesive I had used before because Molly was 'in the house' and don't want her to breathe that gunk into her fragile old age lungs.  So I was using Elmers wood glue which worked great glueing flannel to styrofoam.  But reaching into the Glue Dawer for more I hit two or three hardened tubes of E6000, another batch of gorilla glue in the largest bottle ever-  it had morphed into the gorilla's baseball bat-  good for nothing but weaponization.  And then the glue-stick collection-  there must be 50 tubes, all of which need to be opened and tested.   As do the little tubes of fray check and jewel it and twenty other types...  I was able to find 15 (yeah, FIFTEEN) bottles of different colors and types of Elmers School Glue, and plan on getting in touch with the local elementary art teacher to see if she wants any of this-  LOTS more stuff than just glue here to grab!  Gonna call the school today to leave my number, assuming all us old art teachers share the scavenging gene.

I would simply take the stuff to the school but I cannot get into the school through three levels of 10' high chain link fence and double door locks.  There is even  friggin MOAT along the side of the playground.  It is better lock-down than Alcatraz.  When I think my own kids actually walked to school and went in open doors and left their bikes in a rack without titanium chains (or helmets for that matter).  

Speaking of helmets, or the lack of them:
David Lynch's hair contrasted with different art from the ages.

And oh damn, time flies and I haven't had the PARTY yet!  Hold on...






Inspired by the relics of his parents’ past as Czech publishers and book smugglers, Martin Tomsky(previously) produces laser-cut illustrations that introduce depth with several layers of plywood in varying tones. Originally immersed in drawing detailed scenes on paper, Tomsky transferred his skills to the 3D, creating stories that seem tangled in lore and feature the outlines of animal skeletons, dense forestry, and mythical beasts.
The London-based artist aims to create work that speaks to craft, illustration, and sculpture, each piece serving as both a decorative object and wall-mounted story. Although many of his works are large and intricate productions, he also works small, singling out animal characters like owls, rabbits, and badgers in necklace pendants and brooches. You can see more of Tomsky’s laser-cut tales on his Etsy and Facebook page here.

No comments :