Monday, May 18, 2015

mullion thousandfold sawfly

"Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, 
I escape, one way or another. No more walls.” 



warning:  this video is very long-  12 minutes- and nothing happens,  Still, stay and watch to the end if you don't have anything pressing to do.  He is worth it for jangled nerves.

namaste

Yesterday was my Wild Kingdom Day around here-  I was sitting inside when TY left the house to go somewhere but in a few seconds he started honking in the driveway.  HONK HONK HONK HONK.  I finally got up to see what he wanted and he pointed to a big ole turtle in the road-  he must have run over it right in the center of his car because he was just starting to poke his head out again when he saw me.  OK, so I hadn't combed my hair yet but really???  Finally I got a soft lunch cooler from the garage and kind of pushed and wiggled him into it and carried him over to the pond where I found a nice comfy glade of trees with lots of shade, plenty of bugs and 2' from water if that was when he needed. And again I pushed and lifted him out and away he went.  I waited a minute and the damn turtle had apparently sprinted around a bush and was coming back out of his perfect habitat back into the spikey grass and hot sun.  So, that was it for turtle rescue.  You know the ole saying-
You can take a turtle to water but you can't make him drink.

So last night at midnight I took the dogs out for a final pee before bed and on the way back in there was THIS crawling down my wall in the courtyard:
I know you banana slug natives won't be impressed but in 20 some years here I've never seen a single slug, this is the first and I am shocked at his size-  my own fat finger for comparison-  this was a point where he was all gathered up into short-fat presentation, as he slid along there was also long-skinny mode where he was longer than any of my fingers.  Doesn't he look like a pickle?  I didn't perform any rescue, was too busy with the Portrait.  
BTW, the wrinkly orange background is the side of my garage, NOT my thigh.


Today is also about fiber art, but fiber made of paper and leaves.  Proceed~
Crystal Wagner‘s immersive installations are attractively textured, instantly eye catching, elegantly dramatic, and undeniably wonderful. She carefully arranges pieces of paper bought from office stores into organic explosions of florescent color. She invites visitors to walk through and navigate her neon universe of oceanic waves, throbbing bubbles, and swollen mountains.






artist Kay Sekimachi was struck by a quote from her teacher Trude Guermon-prez: “Try to make something with the simplest of means.” Over the span of her sixty-year art career Sekimachi took the words to heart as she rose to the forefront of contemporary fiber art in the 60s and 70s by creating challenging artworks with extremely limited means. Leaves, hornet’s nest paper, grass, shells, and linen constitute many of the materials in Sekimachi’s repertoire. 





I need to practice my calligraphy again.  Used to love it and even designed a logo for a jewelry store years ago.  'F'" words are really fun to make...

No comments :