Wednesday, June 14, 2017

straitly areolation galingale

“There is hope and a kind of beauty in there somewhere, if you look for it.” (H. R. Giger)



I know-  nobody remembers you after you take a week of from posting!  Well, I am still here, just managed to just take the iPad with me to Boston and was so exhausted every evening from my travels (travails?) that I simply couldn't figure out how to post from that.  I will learn, but I need more hours in the day.

First of all I spent TEN FRIGGIN' HOURS at the airport during torrential rains where we were delayed three times before we were cancelled.  Then JetBlue made new reservations- me leaving in 3 more hours, TY leaving from a DIFFERENT AIRPORT at the same time.  Now how is that possible?  Anyway he changed his ticket to the next day when the sun was out and it was smooth sailing.  And I bounced off the ceiling and walls of the plane for 3 hours.  Got into Boston at 1:30 AM, and the best thing I can say is that that seems to be the best traffic-less time to cab it.  

Next day TY got in and we took out two of his cousins families because we missed their dad's (and TY's uncle's) funeral the day before.  So sad, but good to see them all together.  

Next day I hauled my stuff to Bentley University for the Quilters Connection show where we had a private room to hang just our stuff from the museum show.  We also gave our talk about the Crit Group on Saturday and all went out for dinner together to celebrate.  I don't think we have ever all gone out to dinner in 30 years!  It was fun-  we ate outside under a grape arbor with a bubbling fountain and flowers all in spring bloom.  
Sunday was take-down day and it took about 10 minutes rather than hours like the hanging.  And away we went in the 95 degree temperatures.

And I flew back Monday morning early, stopped at the store for provisions, bailed out the dogs from their incarceration at the Spa, and home we came.  I collapsed in a heap, went to bed at 9 and slept through until morning, unheard of in Sandyland!

Since then I have been seeing friends every day, cleaning up the house, avoiding going outside in the rains, and talking doggie talk.  I happened upon a 9 month old Tibetan puppy and I am trying to take back my words about these current guys being my Last Dogs.  She was so cute and she truly needs me.  (yeah, right...)Bet TY won't see that as a plan though.  

In Other News, the Big Shiny Bernina arrives tomorrow-  just the delivery, not the installation!  That comes at a date to be announced some other time.  So, I am stationed at the studio tomorrow waiting for the big truck, probably wont' be there until the very end of the 'window' they gave me, so I will have to take dogs since they can't be unattended that long.  So, big doings ahead.

And here's the ARTY PARTY for today- I have many backlogged I must clean out!  How about several that are all relatedly being STRATA!  
That's the idea...






Self-taught artist Laura Moriarty's sculptural paintings appear like long lost geodes, geological mysteries layered with multi-colored rings. The asymmetrical pieces reference the earth not only in their appearance but also their process, as Moriarty heats and cools pigmented beeswax is a way that references erosion, weathering, and subduction.
“Layers of color form the strata of a methodology in which the immediacy of the hand can translate a sense of deep time,” said Moriarty in her artist statement. “Working and reworking molten, richly pigmented beeswax, I build each painting/object through a slow, simple yet strenuous physical engagement, which often becomes a metaphor for the ephemerality of life and civilization.”





Fordite:  Agate gemstones are known for their amorphous, fluid patterns and colors created by the slow accumulation of sedimentary layers. But in the case of the obscure “gems” known as “motor agate” or “fordite,” instead of sediment and minerals, the layers are made of car paint.
Pieces of fordite certainly look as though they could have been fashioned deep within some colorful part of the Earth. Largely, though, fordite was created well above ground in the auto plants of Detroit, Michigan.
Beginning in the 1930s and 1940s, American automobiles began being painted via spray techniques that produced large nuggets of excess paint, built up in layer after layer of color. When the cars’ coating would be heated to harden, these overspray deposits would harden right along with them, bringing them to an almost stone-like hardness. A 2013 article about fordite in The New York Times refers to this excess as “enamel slag.”



  
Bowlerine:  HAVE YOU EVER MARVELLED OVER THE BEAUTY OF A FANCY, PEARLESCENT BOWLING BALL? THE DEEP, RESINOUS DEPTH OF COLOR, THE SWIRLING POOLS OF GLITTER FLAKE, THE SHIMMER AND PEARL SHEEN! AHHHHH.... HOW I YEARNED TO COLLECT THESE GIANT GEMS, (AND THOUGH I WAS NOT A BOWLER- IT DIDN'T SEEM TO MATTER!)....EBONITE, BRUNSWICK, COLUMBIA, YUM! .....I THOUGHT, "I WISH I COULD WEAR THEM SOMEHOW, BUT HOW? COULD IT POSSIBLY BE DONE? HMMMM....YES, I THINK SO!"
CRACK-EM-LIKE-DA-COCONUT, AND THEN OFF TO THE ROCK SLICER!...AND SO IT WAS....






Druzanium:  Druzanium is a product  that showcases the results of technology meeting nature ... and the results are breathtaking!
Druzanium is made in an industrial coating process created by the high-tech molecular fusion of metallic Titanium to the exposed surface of a natural quartz drusy gemstone. This is done in a  Particle Vapor Deposition (PVD) chamber. 
While in this vacuum chamber, levels of oxygen and other gasses are manipulated to influence the resulting colors in the titanium as it electrically adheres to the stone, leaving a highly refractive and colorful finish treatment that is permanently bonded to the quartz. Druzanium is beautiful in all light conditions, but especially brilliant for evening, as it twinkles in low light like tiny stars.

hope that makes up for being gone?

No comments :