Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Bottommost Buckshot Barbecue

A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water. Mae West (1892 - 1980)


I picked up my show in Acton today and got it home in time to drop off two quilts for the NEQM show above. Hey, I am a MASSter according to the quilt museum! On the QuiltArt list I always referred to myself as a Dinosaur and you can see from the company I keep that isn't far from the truth. The list includes my whole crit group, which the museum has been actively collecting over the past year, and another crit group with some overlap in members. The idea is that we are all in the permanent collection now because we are either the oldest known quilters around or perhaps have broken some ground over the years. These women don't do much embellishing, hardly ever venture into thread painting, and the beads used are certainly not making anybody any money! As a matter of fact, I think all the embellishing and beading and thread work in this bunch is done by me. They think I am a rebel .

For some reason my computer would NOT let me turn the other side of the postcard right side up so I will just tell you that the show runs from Jan 16th through March 24th. The show includes 14 quilts from the permanent collection as well as 19 recent works. Also ploanned is an artist's panel on Jan 20th at 1 PM, a lecture by Nancy Halpern on Feb 10th at 1 PM, and a gelatin block and stamping workshop run by Nancy Crasco and Carol Grotrian on March 10 and 11. For more information, go to the NEQM website.


Here is the mess I worked on this afternoon, I have barely made a dent and will have to face it all when I get home in the spring. What I was able to do is get all the quilts rolled up into their various 'logs', and have moved them away from the windows to hopefully keep them from further sun damage. This apartment is somewhat cave-like so they will be fine.














Now, to move away from quilts for a moment, I found this site on knitting-by-scientists.
There is some interesting information on how new shapes can easily be illustrated by knitting and crochet.







And some silver cast jewelery from Germany that I just lost the site for!
Basically the artist presses knitted fabric scraps into wax and carves the ring form. Then the wax is put inside a plaster form which is subjected to high heat to burn away the wax, leaving a negative mold. The molten silver is pushed into the crucible with centrifical force and takes the exact shape. I'm remembering this process from 40 years ago at Syracuse so may have the terms wrong, and who knows, maybe by now there is an easier way but this is the ancient lost wax method. Beautiful, no?






Knitted Cupcakes
This one is bran with blueberries and fresh churned butter. Umm, tasty.











And with that I am off for the sunny south. We leave tomorrow early to drive Ms. Molly to Florida. TY has promised me a few mornings at the Waffle House after we pass the Mason Dixon line and that should keep me going for the trip. We have packed Molly's new fav stuffed fox and a couple of cans of dogfood so off we go- figure if things get rough we can share the dogfood.


No comments :