Wednesday, February 27, 2013

forsake grumman argue

Just a quick note that tomorrow is my 1600th post.  Been at this since March of 2004, so you pretty much know where the skeletons are hidden.  Thanks for keeping my secrets quiet and hanging in there with me through some of the natural life processes I have whined about.  Over all this time I have met some of you, and have many more to meet.    I love to be somewhere and have a stranger say they read my blog!  Usually this happens in front of my husband who doesn't even know I do this.  It's really been a great exprience, wish I would have started in 1990 when I was surfing around looking for quilt chat lists on my AOL dial-up!
Tomorrow I have to spend some extra celebration time, eh?   S.
_________________________OK, Sandy, get on with it already_______________________



I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people 
appreciate being alive at least a little bit. 
I am then asked if I know o any artists who pulled it off. 
 I reply, 'The Beatles did'.  
Kurt Vonnegut



This zany interactive art installation by Finnish artist Erno-Erik Raitanen made me smile. Cotton Candy Works are a series of site-specific ephemeral cotton candy installations that engage all the senses. Each sculpture only lasts a few hours before the sugar reverts to its original crystal form.


From his statement about another project, linked:  As the name Bacteriograms implies, this series is closer to photograms than photographs. These images are made without a camera, by cultivating bacteria on the gelatin surface of the negatives, using a similar process as the one used in laboratories to grow bacteria on agar in petri dishes. I have gathered the bacteria samples from my own body. The bacteria consumed the film surface producing photographic images that are entirely created by a chance. I have been removed from the process but, at the same time, the images are a product of my body; self-portraits.  


Bon Jovi at their goatiest

Which leads me to an early dance lesson by none other than James Brown, probably about 1978




And if you're a fan, here he is as transformed from a peanut.  And he's for sale for (gag) $500.
 Poppa got a brand new bag...
 Rev. Al???  Whew.
And here is the James Brown Bobble-Head.  Scary.



This is somewhat sweet and gross at the same time

Shortly before passing away from cancer in 2002, anthropologist & noted Bigfoot academic Grover Krantz arranged to have his body donated to the Smithsonian with one curious condition: his remains had to be kept with those of his beloved Irish Wolfhounds. In honor of his request, the skeletons of Krantz and his dog Clyde were displayed for two years at the National Museum of Natural History starting back in 2009. Their playful pose was replicated from an old photo of Krantz and Clyde.  (did you digest the 'noted Bigfoot academic' part?)



The wonderfully weird take on Blue Willow dishes by designer Maxime Ansiau combines multiple plates into one that can be mounted on the wall as art or used as serving pieces. Maxime Ansiau.  Apparently she was upset that current monuments wouldn't fit on traditional Dutch crockery, so joined plates together to show more contemporary scenes.  Cool idea.  And these are here for a reason-  we are planning on going to Holland and Belgium on a river cruise to celebrate our coming anniversary.  Plans not set yet, I am getting anxious-  need to buy some Dutch clothes...


My Raven Du Jour.South African artist DALest and his wife Faith47 just completed these great new avian-themed pieces as part of Pow Wow 13, an annual contemporary art movement in Hawaii. 

The cutest pencil sharpener ever invented!
  The humorous Kastor beaver-shaped pencil sharpener ravenously ingests pencils and doubles as a paper weight. The chrome-plated sharpener was created by Columbian designer Rodrigo Torres for Italian houseware company Alessi.

before I go----

DON'T FOGET TO TUNE IN TOMORROW

No comments :