Monday, January 13, 2014

habitat compelled rotc


I always consider it a good day when a fortuitous poster comes up that already has a quote on it-  saves me a bit of quote hunting and gathering time!  So I guess you'd say I have an average mind, eh?  Today it's all about 'events', because my idea factory is temporarily---
for renovation!  Meanwhile I'm carrying the usual stuff.

Don't forget to come back on February 1st for the free classes.  Yeah, free.  I don't know why other than if I don't feel like continuing, nobody can be mad at me. Maybe one lesson, maybe lots of lessons, we'll see how it goes.  I do know off the bat that this will not be any techniques and instead be loaded with concepts and I'll just talk about what seems important.  So-  if there's anything you want me to concentrate a lesson on, get in touch!  Either leave a comment or email me directly.


I started to tell you about My Picks for Winners at the Mancuso show the other day.  One piece jumped off the wall and asked to follow me home.  I said no because I already have more quilts than any human should,  it sighed and stayed on its pipe and drape, but I got a little piece of it:

Blew me off the cement floor, loved loved loved it!  It's by an Australian woman, and I took a picture of the card giving me the info but it doesn't seem to be in the camera-  must have taken the picture in my intentions.  So, if you know whose it is please let me know!

This one is also Australian and simply gorgeous up close.  Unfortunately the picture sucks, and all you can see are the damn fold lines from shipping.  What a shame.  It was embroidered diagonally with golden lines and a few small raindrops.  Simply lovely. And that card is missing too.

I did a search online and all I got back from both images were a bunch of Japanese images that had nothing to do with art.   But the next one, tied for second place in my heart, is this:
 And here is the tag!  Kathryn, you are fantastic-  this guy was jumping right off the wall at me!  What a wonderful piece.  Unfortunately there are also fold lines marring this one.  I'm gonna register a complaint with the powers that be that they need to specify better shipping, and even worse if this is one of them shipped from show to show on their tour!
So, kudos to the Aussies for their amazing work!  It was hard hunting the whole show to find the little Australian section, but from now in it will be the first place I seek out.

Pam Allen's piece was on the short list too-  I always love her work-
It was hard getting ANY picture waiting for all the 'ladies' to move on!  

 Then of course the vendors wrestled me to the ground and stole my wallet.  In exchange they left me holding two African baskets (only the small one here) three cards of buttons and two chunks of old cloth-  the kind of thing I can't make a quilt without anymore and supplies are low.
Back to the studio and here is the landscape and my embroidery flosses at the ready-  this stitching' stuff is slow going.  I didn't bring it on my trip, ran out of room because I brought so many sweaters.

OK, that's it for the show.  Now I have some other kinds of art that sometimes isn't even made of cloth!  Wow, what a concept.


From tabletops to dolls to statues and figurines, Jan Huling has a hobby that transforms ordinary objects into one of a kind artworks. She combines her love of indigenous art, pop culture, and world religion with her patience and steady hand to create stunning designs. She begins by stringing a strand of small beads, then carefully applying it to the object with a thin line of glue from a syringe, then removing the string. She never knows how a piece will turn out until it’s finished, but each piece ends up far more unique and beautiful than it started.





Rubén Belloso Adorna of Seville, Spain creates enormous portraits that are so detailed, you would not believe they are not photographs, but they are actually drawings made with chalk pastels. You can see the true magnitude of each drawing when you see the photos of Adorna working on them, yet even when you zoom in and look closely they still look like a high definition photo.



Whew, that's a lot of pictures!  Just a squirrel, and I'm on my way...


1 comment :

Anonymous said...

looking forward to Feb 1 when you start the ideas discussion