Sunday, January 19, 2014

particulate exxon lethe





I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.   Duke Ellington


My old friend got here, two hours late but finally!  We were so tired we could badly eat dinner, then fell into comas shortly after eating the homemade ice cream and caramel sauce.  To die for-  and come to think of it, I just might!  This was such a no-no for me.  i truly wish there wasn't any left because I know it will be calling to me all night long.

Today we went to the studio in spite of my no-Sunday policy, but the Marine next door was in so we even had the door open to some fresh air and sun-  it felt wonderful.  Lisa worked on stuff for her job while I stitched away on the Landscape piece.  I got a good amount done and was able to remove about 6 pins out of 275 holding it all in place, a drop in the bucket.  My thumb and forefinger are bruised and sore tonight because I needed to pull the embroidery thread through with pliers.  This doesn't make for neat work, but so far I was able to control it.  For a reward we went to the mall and ate lunch at Brio's.  Carpaccio is always my pick there, probably have never eaten anything else.  It was a late lunch so I will skip dinner but we have some crab cakes in the refrigerator just in case.

We did a bit of shopping, stopped at the Verizon store so she could get her phone working again, and then came home to feed the fur children.  Now I'm going to finish up the golf club cover for the Play for Pink tournament coming up-  I really want to have this last one done by Tuesday and hand it over.  This one is for the driver and huge, I've put it off this long because I really don't want to do it...
Procrastination R Us.

FEBRUARY 1, be there (umm, I mean HERE) or be square
oh, never mind.

Today's theme is Artists' Books, a subject sea to my heart.  Lisa asked for me to put the Serial Killers book I made in my will so she can have it.  Why?  I have no idea!  But---



Colette Fu has been making pop-up books for the better part of five years. The Philadelphia-based artist brings her photography to life by adding traditional moveable book mechanisms like pull tabs, rotating disks and complicated folds. She’s made pop-ups about her travels, done work for commercial clients like Sephora and documented oddball places like the National Museum of Roller Skating in Lincoln, Nebraska.Her most recent series, “We Are the Tiger Dragon People,” is a deep dive into the world of China’s Yunnan Province, an area of China where 25 of the country’s total 55 minority tribes reside. Since 2008 Fu, who has roots in Yunnan, has documented the minority tribes in the region, and returned home to translate those photographs into intricate, 3-D books that tell the story of her subjects.







Finnish paper artist Janna Syvänoja uses printed paper, maps, catalogues and phone books to create complex sculptures in an array of flowing and graceful designs. Through her work Syvänoja explores the the unique qualities and the potential of paper as a material. Speaking about her work she says, "I can make the rules, but the piece takes the shape of its own. When certain formed components start to follow each other and find their rhythm in my hands, the miracle happens." 



Squirrel of the Day
Who you calling weird?

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Abraham is so correct.
I love your blog.
Cheers Jan