Wednesday, October 11, 2017

souled harmonisers bellboy

“Show your true colors. Mine is yellow.” (Big Bird, Caroll Spinney)



Happy pet raccoon catching raindrops on his car ride!

(I know, I know-  'pet raccoon' is an oxymoron and in fact it's illegal to have one without permission in this country.  But hey, with my squirrel 'thing' the same is true-  they are NOT pets, don't catch 'em and put dresses on 'em.  Thanks you from the management.)  Both bite and claw, but squirrels are not known to infect humans with rabies, raccoons most certainly can!  
Pity, I hae a litter of babies that hang out in the dumpster at the studio that I would love to 'save'.  Instead I throw in my stuff and run.

SO, here's your healthy squirrel du jour, just hanging out.  

So much for animal husbandry, and back to the track here.  I have a wee problem you may not know about-  I am absolutely addicted to podcasts.  I have wireless earphones and a big collection delivered daily so I listen all night. Now the question is kind of chicken or egg-ish in that I don't know if I just don't sleep well and the earphones keep me from hearing snoring or whether the actual podcasts are keeping me awake.  Pick one...  The second choice may not be the best because I listen to true crime and oh boy, there is a whole lot of it out there.  Just a quick survey of the first page of my list shows over twenty different crime podcasts and unknown numbers of episodes of each, with new ones being added all the time.  Which brings me to my own crime art projects:

I 'collect' pictures off wanted posters and police records I find on the internet.  And I made a book of them called Serial Killers.  I used my skills at making boxes and constructed a box to house the pictures:
Then filled it with a slew of killers,
adding their names, the number of their victims-  female, male, or a child:I think there are about 30 mounted photos, both sides of the cards.  And here's the cover with 'bloodsplatter', actually 'skins' like I described the other day:
I haven't had the cojones to display it anywhere because it really needs to be touched and leaved through all the separate cards.

But ANYway, as I have diverged yet again, this evolved into a victim quilt, mounted on stretchers because it was necessary for a show, 'The Lost':

 Same murderers around the age, and twin victims in the center, recently found wrapped in blue tarps in the woods with bullet holes.  Grisley enough for you?  Funny nobody has bought this one...

OK, enough of my warped time travel.  This is all leading up to today's ARTY PARTY.  Bet you wondered where this was heading.

A MURDER diorama!  The kitchen is well equipped and stocked. There’s a stove, a refrigerator full of food, a table with a rolling pin and a bowl, and a sink with Ivory soap. The wall calendar, featuring with a sailing ship, says it’s April 1944. But there’s something else: Every item is miniature, hand-crafted, and a doll lies on the floor, apparently dead, cause unknown.



This is one of Frances Glessner Lee’s Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death, a series of 1/12-scale dioramas based on real-life criminal investigation cases. They were used—and continue to be studied even today—to train investigators in the art of evidence gathering, meticulous documentation, and keen observation. And they were created by one of the most unlikely and influential figures in crime scene forensics.

A bedroom fire

Hanging in the attic

detail














I am in awe!  Oh sure, I've seen meticulous dollhouse recreations but nothing as compelling as this woman's work!  I go now, gotta catch up on some ghastly murder while I'm working at the studio!  Maybe making another murder quilt, an area that hasn't quite been fully explored yet.  D'you think Houston is ready yet?  Have a nice rest of the week, be back soon.

No comments :