Tuesday, November 07, 2017

almagest stronghold churchgoer

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere... Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly. 
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.




I sure didn't want to do it but I did-  my pop-up class was last night  in West Palm.  I had to get down there by 6 and heard about the main road down there was closed for train track construction, plus it was drive-time so I left early 'just in case'.  Turned out to be a great class-  we did mono prints and collographs, and there were only 2 of us working plus a great nice guy teaching.  It was the kind of class I like best- one of those where an overview the info is presented and demoed and then we're on our own to mess about.  Of course I turned out 2 of the ugliest prints imaginable, still in the back seat of my car.  The other student was methodical and directed and did it all the 'right' way ending up with practically a portfolio of work.  

But I learned that you can print with water based inks for a few rounds, let it dry or use a hairdryer, and then swing into oil inks on top of it-  HEY, I sez-  Hey, that's just like wall paints-  you can paint with latex paint over oil paint but never the other way around.  That's just like encaustics...'fat over lean'.  Oops, it's OPPOSITE of all the rules I ever followed (circa 1966!)  And then he was showing us a quick mono print technique with oils and used the yukkiesy old metal-tube dried up paints you've ever seen but pulled out a can of PAM as his thinner or medium.  That alone was worth the price of the class.

I also realized that I am not a very good finished printer but I can print a monotype, scan it into my system and print my monotypes on cloth.  SO, as soon as I finish putting stuff away, vacuuming up the bug cemetery, and learning the ins and outs of my new uber-qbilting machine, I'm set for life on new ideas!  Not that it's ever been a  problem.

The ARTY PART today is taken from the TextileArtist blog-  go there and follow it so you get updates of some amazing artist interviews.  Today was California artist Michelle Kingdom who says. 'Decidedly small in scale, the scenes are densely embroidered into compressed compositions. While the work acknowledges the luster and lineage inherent in needlework, I use thread as a sketching tool in order to simultaneously honor and undermine this tradition. Beauty parallels melancholy, as conventional stitches acquiesce to the fragile and expressive.'  I was only able to grab two shots so definitely go to the interview site and see what she says-  her work is amazing!


OK?  See what I mean?  Now GO!

No comments :