Sunday, September 07, 2008

I found my THRILLLLLLL

on Blueberry Hillllll. Yup, a quart of blueberries, the teensy wild blueberries that are only in season for a few days. It was my task, and I did chose to accept, to use up the quart of deliciousness since I already had secretly frozen another quart for investment in my future.

First, Blueberry Crumb Bars, right off the internet

1 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup cold butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)

1 egg (frankly, I forgot this, and they don't seem to be wanting!)

1/4 teaspoon salt

Zest and juice of one lemon

4 cups fresh blueberries
 (I used about 3 cups so I would have some leftover for muffins- seems to me you could use any berries for this)
1/2 cup white sugar

4 teaspoons cornstarch

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

And then the muffins. I just used an old muffin recipe I have used for years- originally called the Jordan Marsh Blueberry muffin, and quite the prize here in Boston forty years ago. But the thing here was instead of using the regular muffin pan I stuck them in the gigundous muffin pan and piled the batter all the way to the top so they spilled over. Also I added some extra sugar to the tops so they were crunchy. Remember the muffin-top Seinfeld episode? Well in a few hours I noticed that we had been breaking off pieces of all the tops and ignoring the bottoms. By the next day we were reduced to eating the bottoms and pretty happily.

And you may be interested to know that I did NOT make more chutney. Have that market cornered. All this cooking has been fun but I must get back to the studio shelves, so while I am gone, here's somethng to play with:

Color Flip Notice how the color you flip over is always the mixture of the first and second page colors! I like the sound too...


And this cool project, the Genome Quilt. Read all about it.

And of course I cannot forget
Joanne Bedient
, an artist who does shoes, as well as many other things, in lots of different media.

No comments :