Monday, March 02, 2009

I love a class

so I must be classy?  

I started the bookmaking master class today and was happy with the way it went.  It's basically photographic techniques to be used in handmade artist's books, so right up my alley.  Today we covered two types of folded books, simple waxed thread stitching, and multiplying that for binding.  We dipped into cyanotypes,
clear marker transfers, lacquer thinner and solvent transfers, laser vs. ink jet transfers, and (phew) Polaroid transfers from slides and photographs.  
It was a very busy day!  Then when I got home at 5, I had to get a bunch of photographic images printed on the inkjet and taken down to Kinkos to have them transferred by the Laser machine so I can mess with them tomorrow.  I also tried to print on acetate but have the wrong kind so will have to stop at an Office Depot tomorrow and pick up the right stuff.
 Since that didn't work, I guess I will bring along some of my CT scan and see if I can make something out of that.  What the hell, right?  I'll fish out the one with the visible spine, much more compelling than looking at colons.

My great news is that I called the woman at the available studio space AGAIN and this time reached her so I will go see the space and she will check me out on Saturday.  They are all painters sp perhaps won't like my messy fabric cutting and gluing.  I really hope I haven't built it up in my addled head too far, because this would certainly be a solution for me, plus it's so close to home and right next to a fish market.  





Not necessarily this one, but it IS a perk.  I'll let you know how it goes on Saturday.  I just don't know if I will be able to post much between now and then with all the damn shopping it seems I will have to do to keep up with this class! 

1 comment :

Max said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you . . . think that you will love being in a studio space away from home. It is my experience that painters can me just as messy as fiber folk . . . good luck!
Max