Saturday, October 13, 2012

certiorari insipid permutation

By all means, marry. If you get a good wife (husband), you'll become happy; ifyou get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.  Socrates


Here's a couple of themed things I was offered to spend money on this morning from V&M.  Looks like Bones are the Thing Du Jour lately.
Very Expensive skeleton drawing.

Chair that is ready for restraints I think.  Maybe I could use this on a certain toddler at Thanksgiving?

Guess this skull wouldn't fit in the crematory urn?

And one interesting critter, as yet unidentified but quite toothy.  

That about wraps up my shopping for the morning.  Oh, except that I went to Amazon and found a couple of books I finally hit the button for.  I certainly don't need new books, but sometimes I can't help myself.  I admit I judge people by their books-  if I walk into a new house and there isn't a book anywhere to be seen, no cool magazines open on a table, nary a newspaper folded to finish later, I am all of a sudden not interested in continuing the relationship.  Back in the dark ages when I was dating around I used a guys socks as my line in the sand.  If he was wearing bad socks, he was dismissed.  Glad I have evolved to judging the amount of reading material around and not preliminary footwear.

Photographer Bastian Kalous has a very different approach, carrying his Polaroid camera around the world into the sweeping vistas of the Grand Canyon, the valleys surrounding the Grand Tetons, and other expanses of forests and mountains near his home in Freyung, a town in Bavaria, Germany.


My latest Kickstarter funding went to Flipbook. In 2011 kinetic artists Mark Rosen and Wendy Marvel created a series of wonderful mechanical flipbooks based on the work of Eadweard Muybridge, the guy responsible for pioneering photographic studies of motion. After touring a few art galleries and making a well-received appearance at the 2012 Maker Faire the duo teamed up with manufacturing designer Steven Goldstein to create kits that mere mortals such as you and I can use to create nostalgic moving pictures of our own design. If you’re as ridiculously excited about this project as I am, head on over to Kickstarter to pledge a few bucks.
 It comes equipped to show one of these old Muybridge images but I figure I can add my own if the need arises.  They promise my copy of this by Christmas.  I can't wait.  I LOVE Kickstarter, think it's a great way for people with some pie-in-the-sky project to get funding OR find out that that pie is gonna stay in the sky because it's a dumb plan! 
Sort of self-leveling.

 And, the announcement of the SAQA in Florida show in Daytona Beach!  Do I want to drive 3 hours to go to the opening?  Well, yeah, but we will have to see what's happening here on the home front before I take off for the day.  Also have to factor in the 3 hour ride back- long way for an opening, but I should go for the schmooze factor.  I have my quilt all packed and ready to take to FedEx.  Today I'll pack the big one for AZ too and do both at once.  I kind of hot the wall yesterday after using my jigsaw to cut down the tube for Daytona.  Figured I better stop jigsawing until I have a stable place to set the big 12" tube-  it rolls around too much to control, thought the 4" tube went OK.  I need clamps or another hand.


I’ll let this fun video from filmmaker Eran Amir speak for itself, suffice to say the entire thing was shot as you see here without any color correction, and here’s a making of to show how he did it:


There, done. Now go have a great weekend.

No comments :