Saturday, January 05, 2013

glib shibboleth inappropriate



WHEN YOU LIVE IN THE SHADOW OF INSANITY, THE APPEARANCE OF ANOTHER MIND THAT THINKS AND TALKS AS YOURS DOES IS SOMETHING CLOSE TO A BLESSED EVENT. LIKE ROBINSON CRUSOE'S DISCOVERY OF FOOTPRINTS ON THE SAND. ROBERT PIRSIG you know who you are---  I miss you!

WHY DRAWING IS IMPORTANT!  THIS VIDEO IS IMPORTANT!!!  STAY WITH IT!!!

Thanks.  Did you see what Bret Eviston was trying to tell us?  This is in better words than all my ranting in all my classes that I ever taught.  Drawing makes you slow down and *see*, whether it's the object before you or issues in your life. Its a meditation and a practice that we all need.  Loved this message though I kinds think the messenger was less than dynamic.  I'm going to watch him every day this week.  Want to join me?  Let me know...




 Japanese artist Sagaki Keita (previously here and here) recently updated his portfolio with a number of new works from 2012. Keita creates composite pen and ink illustrations using thousands of densely scribbled doodles, goofy characters seemingly born from the margins of notebook paper that then form everything from Roman statues to artworks from pop culture. Several of these illustrations are actually part of a commissioned campaign for Expedia from late last year. You can see much more on his website.  Yesterday I posted the wrong art for Mr. Keita.  
This is his street art and I love it.  Sorry if MY confusion caused your confusion.  
Yesterday's post was also fixed.  S.




Launched less than a month ago, Below the Boat makes gorgeous bathymetric charts (the underwater equivalent of a topographic map) using laser-cut layers of Baltic birch that are then carefully glued together to create what you see here. They have over two dozens charts currently available organized by East Coast, West Coast, and Interior Lakes.



These hand knit credit cards by Russian artist Dimitri Tsykalov are each about five feet wide. They are part of the artist’s 2009 series, “Money.” Also in the series—a crocheted ATM and an oversized wooden check.  These are about 5' across.

delicate paper teacups from Cecilia Levy

I am choosing to think this is raven wallpaper, please don't tell me differently because I covet it!  Artists Randall Buck and Jee Levin of New York-based design house Trove take their inspiration from disparate sources: Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds," for instance.   

Here is the medic alert bracelet we all need!  Imagine there is a designated person in each facility to carry out your wishes when you're dragged in on an emergency!  I'd say at least as important as the diabetic bracelet or the allergy bracelet in some cases.


2 comments :

Terry Grant said...

Loved the drawing video--you knew I would. Laughed out loud at the the "delete my browser history" bracelet!

Mary Beth Frezon said...

yes on the video. Keep playing it until you believe it folks!