Wednesday, June 05, 2013

resident acclimated tightening


That's the point of working with one's hands, you see. 
It gives the mind something else to do besides worry.Charles Todd

Major Whine Coming Up
Had a terrible day yesterday-  bare with me for a few minutes (Or simply scroll down to the arty picture parts below) so I can get out from under and start today in a better frame of mind.  Had to get up at 4:30 AM to get to the airport, nice start, huh?  The flight was uneventful as far as I knew, but as we were preparing to land the flight attendant got ahold of her speaker and told us we couldnt get out of our seas until the medical team arrived because there was an emergency.  So we sat waiting until they arrived.  Since nobody took a stretcher out, and certainly no body went by, either the victim was OK or already dead and we were released.  My bag was the last one out of the carousel, I was the cheese standing alone listening to whap whap whap as the conveyor belt went around. Uneventful cab ride, thankfully, because when I got in the condo was 85 degrees.  The AC was pumping away but hot air was coming out the vents.  My windows  have never been opened because they are faulty from the Boris-the-GD-developer removing and reinstalling them multiple times to bring in building supplies during the build-out of the church.  Since we moved in the week before Christmas, I hadn't tested the windows, bad me.

So I surveyed the problem messed with the thermostat, and realized I was in deep doodoo. I forced open on small window and got a rush of air, and discovered that the window in the den did open.  It didn't help a lot, but at least I could run to the window and get a breath.  

So I decided to get to the store to pick up a few things for food-  found the keys and went to the garage and away I went.  I got out of the garage and heard a funny noise coming from the wheels so I jumped out to check the tires-  last trip home we had a flat resulting in a couple of new tires but all tires were inflated an looked fine.  I got back in and did a test run around the block and the noise was still there-  sounded like a washing machine, a rotation whoosh whoosh whoosh which added in the sound of metal on metal.  Back upstairs I go, still no food.

Found an AC guy who will be out Friday morning.  Whined to Ralph long distance who called AAA to two the car.  Found a  dealership to take it, and proceeded to wait for the truck.  They said 15 or 20 minutes and they said I could possibly have a loaner.  After two hours the dispatcher called and said the truck couldnt find me.  I was sitting on the front steps, he told me he was in the vicinity and would be there immediately.  A half hour more, he called back and I found out that the truck was in a different town on another Center St.  So they sent a more local guy who indeed did arrive in 20 more minutes which was by now 5 PM.

I was supposed to meet Judy before our crit group to go out to dinner at 5.  I called her and postponed it a bit.  I called her about 6 times changing plans every time, and meanwhile clambored into the HUGE truck for the ride to the dealership.  Nice guy, BUT he was saying he had been driving for 16 hours and really needed to get home.  I was nervous.

The dealership indeed did not have loaner but called the dealership down the street that had a rental so I hiked down there lugging a huge bag of books I was taking to crit group.  So, finally, at 6 PM I was right where I started out back at 11 when I got in.

Instead of going out to a lovely winey dinner I stopped at Whole Foods and got a salad to take to my crit group meeting with me.  I was falling asleep in the meeting.   Frustration takes a toll.
Fortunately I threw in a few Starbucks Via tubes so I'm all set this morning until they're gone too.

SO, whew, while I wait to her from the car guy, lets talk about cardboard.





Artist Sylvie Reno makes incredible sculptures of out cardboard, everyday objectsdetailed replicas to a huge works like this bank safe



Michael Leavitt's cardboard sneakers


Cardboard furniture is especially cool, and cardboard is easy to manipulate into designs that seem outright space-age. In 1972, a man named Frank Gehry made history when he introduced the Wiggle Chair, one long stretch of thick corrugated board, layered and folded in on itself under the seat, to provide amazing stability and comfort perfectly harmonized with a bold statement.




Inspired by nature, Alex Uribe creates sculptures exclusively from recycled, corrugated cardboard, both in large and small scale. Featured here are Uribe’s figurative, organic shapes, exploringabstract ideas rather than realism.


Mark Langan is an Ohio artist who has mastered the art of upcycling. For about five years, his focus has been giving used corrugated cardboard a new life as sculpture. His materials are about as simple (and green) as it gets: corrugated boxes, non-toxic glue, a razor knife, a cutting edge and mat.







ooooooommmmmmm:


2 comments :

Sandy said...

Awww...big hugs for you after such a frustrating day.
Sandy in the UK
PS verification is stigmata...maybe in sympathy with your ordeal?

Mary Beth Frezon said...

LOL I started out by grabbing the opening quote for my quote box. I was riveted (muttering oh no! oh no!) about your mis-adventures and then BLAM got to the squirrel and spewed my lunch. A most successful blog post and I thank you, while cleaning my screen. LOL