Monday, July 29, 2013

concentrate canton ala




Neil young describing his creative process to Patti Smith:   “Well, they do come that way. I don’t try to think of them. I wait till they come. A metaphor may be that if you’re trying to catch a rabbit, you don’t wait right by the hole ...  and then the rabbit comes out of the hole, he looks around. You start talking to the rabbit, but you’re not looking at it. Ultimately, the rabbit is friendly and the song is born.The idea is, he’s free to come, free to go. Who would want to intimidate or disrespect the source of the rabbit? And in that way if the song happens, it happens. If it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. It doesn’t matter.
That’s why I’ll write a lot of material and why I’ll suddenly not write any material. There’s no reason to write, it has to come to me, if it doesn’t come to me, I don’t want to have anything to do with it, I don’t want to see it, I don’t want to look for it. I really hate things that people work on. There’s nothing about music that should be working on it.
There’s no reason to be something you’re not. Or trying to be somebody that you think is good."
Quick notes in from a tall hill in Vermont:  everything going swimmingly so far, but lordy I am tired of standing in the kitchen!  Tomorrow I am out of here to see what I can see-  do far I've just been sitting and enjoying the vistas-  have always wanted a real view!  However I have evolved from loving the country to needing to be near a city.   Sure, I am loving the gorgeous gardens around the house, the 20 acres of mountainside, and yes, even the company.  But in my old age I have come to see more work everywhere-  work I am not willing to do.  I want a pot of flowers by the front door, NOT a massive cutting garden.  I want an efficient kitchen, not two kitchens back to back with a pass-through over the 6 burner stove.  I want reliable internet, even more important phone service.  Yeah, this city gal is spoiled.  Sure there  are stars out there and I'm enjoying them very much but I don't have to drive all this way to see stars because they are even clearer in Florida and there I can lie out on my lounge and watch them every night-  well, except full moon nights because that's too bright.  Love the crickets here, but I have tree frogs to sing.  All I'm saying is that the charm of the ages is here in Vermont but I am a very happy camper near a movie theater and Whole Foods.  I won't be looking for Real Estate here.  Plus, I hear it snows...

In other news, I gave the little carriage robe I was knitting to the mother-to-be of my coming grandson.  So far the little guy looks damn cute in the sonograms, has that big head that runs in my family.  His arms and legs are skinny but he has plenty of time to fatten up now that he's got all his parts in working order.  These people will be wonderful parents and it will be fun to watch them get all their questions and fears replaced with the amazing feelings of love for that brand new baby.
Koigu carriage robe, more likely a car seat blankie.




For their collaborative project titled "Signs for the Homeless", Boston-based artists Kenji Nakayama and Christopher Hope interviewed and photographed a number of homeless people on the streets of Boston, replacing their beat-up hand-drawn signs with brand new hand-painted ones.
More HERE.  



Paper City, from Terry Grant's website:






Photographer Karsten Wegener, designer Silke Baltruschat and food stylist Raik Holst recently collaborated on a photo series depicting nine iconic works of art recreated using classic German bratwurst and various other meats. The project cleverly titled "Sausage in Art" features a hot dog translation of Jeff Koons’s Poodle, a packaged ham rendition of Edvard Munch's "The Scream" and a cold cut homage to Damien Hirst.





Jewelry made from found objects- London-based jewelry designer Hollie Paxton explores these themes in her collection Rubbish Jewelry, which seeks to discover the relationship between our identity and our objects. “The collection inverts the idea of what can be precious, as the objects I have chosen to recreate, once used, are disposable and almost worthless,” she writes. “Through recreating them in precious materials, using labour intensive processes such as enamelling, it interests me as to how our relationship with the object changes, possibly for some, to the point where one would consider wearing ‘rubbish.’”



Smart Turtle, why race when you can ride?

No comments :