Sunday, November 24, 2013

exciton coot pigment




A story has no beginning or end: arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead.― Graham Greene


I had a good experience this morning when I read my email-  I had a fan letter!  It started out just like a good piece o' spam but I continued reading  because it included a bit of information that looked like maybe they DID see my website! I proceeded to get so puffed up that I could barely get through the doors with my giant ego so well-fed!  
Headed out this morning verrrry early, I came across a whole family of these guys crossing the main street absolutely FLAUNTING themselves knowing they are safe here in the wilds of Newton foraging for hamburger wrappers in the street gutters.  

I hit the fourth grocery store (Whole Foods involved two different branches) at 7 when it opened today because I was out of ziplock baggies to keep stuff in as I messed with it.  While I was getting in the car I noticed that the dashboard announced it was 27 F.  WHAT AM I DOING HERE???  

Having been born and raised in Buffalo, I swore I would never deal with winters like that as soon as I had a choice.  Unfortunately I didn't exercise 'choice' and spent a few years at Syracuse where I remember it being -17 one morning as I hiked up the hill to classes in an unheated attic of the castle.  I thought I was miserable until I realized that the poor figure model had to be naked and sit still for 3 hours.  We all watched as he turned gray, then blue, while we all kept our mittens on to draw!  I found the answer in Boston where winters were considerably milder because of the ocean, but 30 years of digging the car out of ice floes and stepping into slush 2' deep when you didn't expect it sent me to Florida with no stops in between.  There we get to complain about the bitter lows of the 70's and giggle at the kids wearing earmuffs walking to school in shorts.  I am so over this...  and on the news just now, because I am a multi-media gal right now, they announced it will snow tomorrow AND that the weekend travel will be interrupted from there on in!  TY is coming in Wednesday, the worst travel day of the year.

So today I have vacuumed the whole house because our contractor is bringing somebody over to see his recent work.  I have sliced up and toasted two baguettes to use for the appetizers, and I made a pumpkin seed brittle to use on the pumpkin cheesecake that doesn't yet exist.  I will best cook up the raw sausage that will be included in one of the dressings and also accompany the veggie lasagna I will build for the little family.  Last thing today is to stick the pie crust I made on my last trip in the refrigerator to defrost.  I had to replace my flour and sugar of indiscriminate age and replenished a supply of plastic containers to keep this stuff in and to send off with the kids who I still feel the need to feed.  Every day the cooking gets more intense, so tomorrow things will get fun-ner.  It ain't no fun cleaning at all!

And oh yeah, the rope and pulley PT exercises KILL!  Poor me.

David Allan Peters


Leah Rosenberg

Ryan Peter Miller



Margie Livingston


Lynda Benglis
Think of those fun acrylic skins you peel off the palette when you clean up!  This is the same idea but BIG!





Laura Moriarty

These artists are involved in casting and sculpting paint rather than simply applying it to a substrate.  Paint has historically been used to create imagery on a foundation- canvas, wood, paper, etc.  In this common format the paint becomes an object of art only after joined with a substrate.  Lynda Benglis was a forerunner in breaking away from this.  Today there are a number of artists like the above examples pushing forward on this notion, and breaking away further in the development of their bodies of work.  They all create works that demonstrate the vast spectrum with which paint as a medium has been torn from the substrate and presented conceptually and physically as a substance that can be molded.


How 'bout something completely different?


I bought 4#s and I'm running out...

No comments :