Thursday, December 26, 2013

bawl medal bough



I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery.
Aldous Huxley 


You, youse, y'all.  Hit this link and take the test on where in the US you are from based on language usage.  I answered the questions all pretty quickly and it came out that I am from Buffalo, Grand Rapids, or Detroit-  the red on the screenshot above.  I was shocked, thought I used pretty wide spread words for things, but they nailed me.  Today I tried again and deliberately picked more carefully as to how I actually use words and the new map came up even MORE specific-  pegging me from Buffalo/Rochester this time.  (Only a 50 mile difference!)  I assumed that having parents from Colorado would make a difference, as would moving away to Boston when I was 17.  Nope.  You can take the girl out of Buffalo but you can't take the Buffalo out of the girl.  

We went to a dinner party last night with some very interesting people.  It was given by neighbors and included neighbors but they were people I really didn't know well.  The champagne flowed, the conversation was interesting, not just about golf, and all in all it was a fun evening.  We barely even mentioned shoulders either!  

TY is helping at a soup kitchen tonight so when he comes home we will stay in and finally eat the dinner I made three nights ago.  I only have one episode of Lilyhammer to go, and apparently Jonny goes back to New York to settle some matters, and that will be the end of season 2.  It's a long time until next fall when it comes back-  if you know somebody, tell 'em I need it back sooner.




In my surfing this morning I came across an audio program, 'Fail Safe' by Debbie Millman.  It's pretty short, read from an essay in this book:

While you're doing something else that doesn't require your attention today, do a favor for yourself and LISTEN!  It's worth your time.




Taking its name from Vincent’s large-scale work installed in the gallery,  “Be Good for Goodness Sake” pushes audiences to question their stance on surveillance and privacy in the age of social media.
Nathan Vincent’s six-foot crocheted doily acts as Big Brother and it invites the spectators to to sit on a bench flanked by security cameras, while Kathy Halper and Iviva Olenick create embroideries that question the psychosocial impacts of intimate over-sharing via social media. Inspired by her own Facebook feed, Olenick uses embroidery and watercolor to render her own “selfies” and portraits of others. Halper’s work similarly questions the disappearing space between public and private online through embroidered drawings of found images from teens’ Twitter and Facebook accounts.
The exhibition, “Be Good for Goodness Sake” will be on view at the Muriel Guepin Gallery in New York until January 19th, 2014.

Another Liz Climo, because I found her too late to jam them all in before Christmas!:



nice birdy


No comments :