Sunday, December 29, 2013

gabble hellish hierarchy

John Baldessari's art with text.  I'm taking it to art-heart.


How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives. Annie Dillard 


Working around the house lately, trying to get things back to organized and tidy after Christmas.  Yesterday morning we went out for a quick breakfast and decided to swing by the movie theater to buy advance tickets for American Hustle since we arrived too late the day before when we tried.  So, we got there about 11 and the next show was 11:15 and we decided to just do it then since we had no pressing appointments.  We both liked the movie but thought it was maybe a half hour too long and perhaps the script could have been condensed and somewhat clarified since it was difficult to follow not knowing who was hustling who (whom?).  A little more character development would have been good. Anyway there were some good moments and we both decided it was a solid 'B' after me arguing for a 'B-'.  I wasn't very happy with wardrobe or sets because they really weren't typical of the early '70's,  except Amy Adams 'Edith/Sydney's' Diane von Furstenburg wrap dress. She had every other piece of clothing cut down to her waist walking around town, can't imagine where her character would have found that same thing in twenty different versions.  By contrast this morning TY was watching Goodfellas and they had the interiors and costumes knocked.  And that's my review.  But I suppose their viewing demographic wasn't around in the early '70's.  Sigh.






oil paintings by Portland-based artist Meghan Howland, who often depicts people caught in swarms of birds, flowers or bunches of fabric. It’s never quite clear if the figure is in a safe or dangerous situation, an ambiguity that leaves each piece open for interpretation.

And another painter of women, this time with bubbles engulfing them


Artist Samantha French was born raised in Minnesota where she attended the Minneapolis College of Art and Design and now lives and works in Brooklyn. Her current body of work explores nostalgic memories from her childhood spent swimming in lakes of northern Minnesota. The underwater portraits portray people both in and out of water in the midst of perfect tranquil moments captured gracefully with oil paints. 


I've had a lamp here on the desktop in the 'Don't Give Me This' file, but in dumping the file, I decided I DO want this:
But I forgot where it came from and who wants to sit at a dining table with an octopus strategically placed to poop on the food?  Maybe I'd put it somewhere else.  In my dreams.





The butterfly house I painted up for my neighbor isn't even in the ground yet-  he is trying to place it so it's visible from both our houses- and it has some real estate activity going on!  Its had quite a few butterflies flapping around this particular garden area, much to my delight-  I was hoping they would like yellow, but didn't have anybody to ask.  The decoupaged butterflies are all found in Florida so who knows, maybe they recognize the images!  (You'd think I could have moved two steps to the left and eliminated the Comcast truck, wouldn't you?  Geesh.)


Because I usually end my posts with a squirrel picture, I will share this story today, sorta off my beaten path, but I guess it's either a blatant sale plea for ceramic squirrels 
OR a warning if you already have one!
Look Harold, a squirrel!
  

via WCBD, A North Charleston woman is in jail after police say she stabbed her husband with a ceramic squirrel.   (Please note that for once a story like this isn't coming out of Florida.)  The culprit:
(I had to look hard for a cubist squirrel with hard edges.)  Read the story here 
Now go have a beer, but make sure you have your back to the wall.  
Some days it just pays to read the news.

No comments :