Tuesday, December 31, 2013

bookseller okay csnet

The Obligatory Happy New Year Post
Am headed out to a party where I don't know anybody but am getting that queasy feeling that everybody there will look like a character in Mob Wives.  
Wish I could stay home, order out Chinese, and go to bed at 9.



The most valuable of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, 
when it has to be done, 
whether you like it or not.
Aldous Huxley 


Yeah, I picked that quote specifically because this whole day has been about 'doing unto others', except for my own trip to the drugstore to pick up more insulin for Molly and stuff for a colonoscopy coming up.  Hey, I didn't even LOOK at anything fun, just pick-up, and exit.  Now I'm waiting for the chicken pot pie to finish up, a test of King Arthur's Gluten Free while flour.  We'll see if that is an upgrade but I'll tell ya now I doubt it.

I'm doing the no-wheat thing again and on day two I am already cranky-  how in hell do you eat sardines without a cracker?  I know I'll get used to it, just will take about 20#s before I do, but I did it before and fell off that turnip wagon so now I have to catch the next one rolling by.  I'll morph it into no-white-food in a bit but for now wheat is enough to contend with.  

Unbelievably I did get to the studio for a few hours this morning, still working on the vessel-thing, and today started sewing.  I changed the bobbin three times so I guess I got some mileage on it.  More to follow.  So far I don't hate it but I also don't see where it's going.




Elsa Mora  (Elsita)
 Elsa Mora is a young Cuban artist now living in LA.  Her paper cut art is amazing-  please go check her blog-  you will love the humor and the detail of each piece.  Go read about her life on her blog!



I usually only post two or three pictures from any one artist but this one you'll get why I need to post more-  these sculptures are magnificent, all made from cast glass and porcelain that's been raku fired-  I've never seen such control of two such different mediums used together!  Watch this young woman-  she is wonderful, and you'll be so glad I couldn't choose between the images!




 Christina Bothwell makes sculpture out of combinations o glass and ceramic-  from her website:  'In my work I am drawn to the processes of birth, death, and renewal. What lies below the surface fascinates me and I try to capture the qualities of the "unseen" that express the sense of wonder that I feel in my daily existence. I am attracted to glass because it can do everything that other sculptural media can; in addition, it offers an inner space and transmits light.      My subject matter includes babies, animals, and children as they embody the essence of vulnerability that is the underlying theme in my work. Currently I am exploring metamorphosis as a topic, and have been incorporating figures within figures in my pieces. Within each glass figure there is a smaller figure seen through the surface of the glass.'

And now two pictures of my proudest achievements, even though I had precious little to do with them!  First of all, Mister, dressed for a golf game!  As you can see, the delicate minuscule fingers and the skinny little legs are gone at 6 weeks old.
 And then Elias (the next John Belushi) with his sister Hazel, the future veterinarian-  the only thing on earth she wants to do since the day she picked up her first toy animal.  He are quite funny, she is quite serious.  Both are very directed.
 I'm anxious to see them in next month, so if you're in the north east, expect a major storm.  It happens, I don't know why.  The Sandy Donabed travel curse.

So, I have to go find some Big Ang makeup and get this show on the road.  Have a Happy New Year, drive safely, don't eat too much, and certainly don't drink too much.  Tomorrow is the first day of a new clean slate!   My resolution is to-- 
WORK MORE HARDER
Love ya, come on back for more!

No comments :