Saturday, January 18, 2014

account coltish causal




It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than 'try to be a little kinder.'
Aldous Huxley 



Oh boy, off to a great start dwelling on death today!  Maybe because I am so tired from staying up REknitting a baby blanket for a friend who made a teensy mistake way back at the beginning and it threw off everything after that.  Got it all UNknitted  and started trying to REknit to the point she left off BUT the ole shoulder had enough for the day after the extra physical therapy they put me through.  So I stopped, and after I finish cleaning up the house I'll attempt a little bit more.  It's a really simple pattern and big honkin' needles so I should make some headway before today's trip to the aeropuerto to pick up my northern friend.  And speaking of her, I read on her Facebook page that she was at the MFA when I was the other day!  I wish I had some sort of sensor that would scan everybody in a crowded place to see who I know!  Too bad, I know she would have loved to meet Mister, if she could pull him away from the video screen that was mesmerizing him!  I knew four people on the awful plane ride home Thursday!  I didn't want to know the idiot sitting next to me.
Poor Molly sulking by jamming herself up against the kitchen cabinet, of course at the sink where I have to work!  She is discovering that she gets better smells if she jams the cone up against pee spots in the street.  Classy bitch.

Made a batch of my crab cakes ready to pop in the oven when we get back, and she mentioned she wants my homemade ice-cream so I upped it a notch and made some killer vanilla that I will add some toffee chips to as it finishes freezing, and then to die for caramel sauce.  Also there will be a bit of kale salad in there for something a bit ON the chart.  But I wanted things that were all done, no fuss. 
This does it-  here I am cleaning the place up-
Do I look my age?
Almost done picking the kale, so it must be time for some old knitting or some new art!






Beautiful porcelain with decorative ants converging!  Love this, it so reminds me of opening a cupboard and finding a herd of ants completely covering a forgotten sugar bowl!  While the standard response to insects crawling across your food or dinner plate is usually nothing less than repulsion, that didn’t stop German artist Evelyn Bracklow of La Philie from creating these one-of-a-kind vintage porcelain dishes covered in hordes of hand-painted ants. 
It’s not hard to see that each piece is incredibly detailed and well-executed, making it strangely beautiful despite what it portrays. This balance of superb execution versus creepy subject matter may be the reason she’s had no problem selling the objects over on Etsy, where a number of them are currently available.


Dopplegangers-  look closely:



The subject of Randall Rosenthal’s artwork at times seem inconsequential. Stacks of old newspapers and magazines, a comic book collection in a cardboard box, envelopes stuffed with various stacks of currency. And then you discover that you’re really looking at only two things: a single piece of Vermont white pine and skillfully applied acrylic paint. These are the only materials Rosenthal requires to mimic the look and feel of flimsy newsprint, worn trading cards, translucent pieces of tape and deteriorating cardboard boxes. What’s all the more amazing is that he doesn’t work from a photograph or model, but instead creates each object as he goes, using only an image in his mind as a guide.


Much to do yet to get this place ready for company-  all because I chose UNknitting over cleaning last night.  And I desperately need to get to the studio to get some work done there.  So much to get done...  It's SO chilly that I haven't even turned on the pool heater, hope it gets better, but at least the sun is bright today.  

This microscopic picture is TEQUILA!  If you make it huge, the colors absolutely glow.  
I love this image!


This teenaged beauty queen with a haughty attitude is not what she appears.  She is my FIVE year old, soon to be six getting a haircut.  Isn't it amazing when you get a glimpse of what they will look like down the road?   Proof that she is still in kindergarten:
'No Dogs Allowed' for the tent built from the couch cushions-  I want to keep her this age but the 'glimpses' are getting more and more frequent.  Scary.  

No comments :