Wednesday, January 08, 2014

cavil shepherd shouldn't





If you're not doing what you love you're wasting your time.  Billy Joel


I had a sad thing yesterday-  I got an offer to resurrect my dog-and-pony show and teach in Falmouth next summer.  I thought about it overnight and decided not to do it-  I'd have to transport actual quilts up to MA because my slides are woefully out of date, a whole suitcase full.  I just plain don't want to start climbing some steep learning mountain on digital projectors plus make sure all my old notes are updated.  It would be easier for me to transport that guild down here for the hour rather than the other way around.  I would basically make enough money to pay for boarding my dogs for three days, certainly not enough to cover the flight up and back plus taking the car overnight to get to the Cape and leaving my husband carless OR renting a car in Boston.  Wow, how those expenses mount and they were counting on a few miles from Boston to the Cape.

The other LEETLE deal was that they wanted me on the third Thursday of the month and wouldn't you know, it would be on my 70th (gag me) birthday.  That about clinched it for me.  It would be days and days of preparation just for an hour of being able to lecture again.  Sigh.  I'd RATHER get a nice dinner and have somebody make me a cake.  I'm proud of myself for being practical on this. Over the years I've lost days and days of free prep time, travel time, and downtime in strange towns.  I don't want to do it any more.  But I'll tell ya, there was never a time I was happier than teaching a group of women who all claimed they were never artists and their mother told they they couldn't draw a straight line!   I showed them how they just might be wrong, and was damn good at it.  

In fact, I just may transfer some of my lecture and workshop notes to the blog and do my 'teaching' here.  Whatcha think?  I guess I've wasted just about as much time at this as at traveling to teach.  I'll ruminate on it.

Today, in honor of all my snow and ice bound pals up north, I have a few pretty cool things to show you.  I know you won't pity me a bit but it was 40 here yesterday, and it's raining all day today. I knew you wouldn't care, but maybe it makes you happy I am wet and cold?  In Florida!  So there.  Ready?  Jackets zipped?  Earmuffs?  



 Teaming up with ice construction company Ice Culture Inc., Canadian Tire wanted to show their cold weather battery so the group took an existing truck chassis and welded it rigid to support the 7 tons of ice without cracking. The finished truck features clear, air free ice with working headlights, taillights, horn and engine (and a cool, but ineffective air freshener). To the enjoyment of the local population, the team took the truck on a trip through tiny Hensall, Ontario- note the little ice pine tree deodorizer hanging from the rear view window!  


Ice Music    



 and, of course, Ice Hotels (all of which have very interesting bars!)

 Quebec City

 Jukkasjarvi

Jukkasjarvi

 Norway

Quebec City


And because I seem to have nothing else to do lately but keep doctor appointments and make it to the plane, I'll wind this up with two amazing tattoos I've come across.
 World Map Tattoo with Countries Visited Colored in. I wonder which tattooed area is the homeland?

(Love this one!) Russia-based tattoo artist Alina Fokina inked a creative Popeye the Sailor Man tattoo on the forearm of her customer. Her tattoo shows Popeye’s fist extending out and blending into the customer’s actual hand.





Thanks Gerri-  wish you would have sent the subtitles too!

2 comments :

Susan said...

Here on Canada's west coast, which we call the tropics, it is no longer freezing and it is raining. That is normal and it is good.

(((( In fact, I just may transfer some of my lecture and workshop notes to the blog and do my 'teaching' here. Whatcha think? I guess I've wasted just about as much time at this as at traveling to teach. I'll ruminate on it.)))) Brilliant! Great idea. no pressure. Good stick handling.

70. I found that number a tough one - it is the three score and ten - it is icky. 50 and 60 were just proof that I was getting better. A quiet, expensive dinner with even more expensive wine is an excellent way of handling that number.

Susan

Max said...

Gee . . . so the blog so far has been intro to the creative process and now you are going to hit us with the advanced stuff? I say BRING IT ON! Then none of us have to shlep materials anywhere and no one has to sit on uncomfortable chairs trying to focus while also trying to figure out how to keep arthritic knees and hips from locking in place! ; )