Wednesday, January 15, 2014

prosaic peal playoff



People intoxicate themselves with work so they won't see how they really are.
Aldous Huxley 


Still in Boston, still raining, or, actually, raining again!  But I am NOT complaining, I sure would rather be here in rain that the other stuff.  I made it up to Ipswich yesterday to see the kids and got to spend a little bit of time with them.  At least they don't run and hide when they see me any more.  So, now that all the family has been seen I have today for some friends.  I got in touch with an old neighbor last night to catch up, and she had some major tragedies with all three of her adult kids, such bad news and I'm so sorry to hear it. Hopefully I'll find some better results today.  I'll now be more careful about checking up on people frequently-  I so know how terrible it is to have nothing on your plate but worry and the isolation that follows.  

Florida Chicken March outside my physical therapy office (only about half the herd)


******************************************************
Don't forget February 1-  I'll have an essay (speech, rant-  whatever you want to call it) about being an artist that is really the foundation for what I'll be talking about for all the sessions.  My biggest hope is that you take it with you, assimilate it, and drop it on whoever you hear bemoaning their intrinsic artistic talents. This is sort of a pass-it-forward thing.  OK, First Premise:  My number one belief is that it is my duty to share anything I know or sources or ideas with anybody who will listen.  There are no 'secret ingredients' like a private recipe where someone forgets the cinnamon 'accidentally'.  
****************************************************** 




Always forging new roads into the possibilities for sculpture, Kohei Nawa is one of Japan’s most inspiring young artists. Now he experiments with foam solids to create a cloud-like dream world in a black room. The material appears flimsy, yet stays in position giving off a vibe that it is from another planet. The installation appeared at the Aichi Triennale 2013 with a theme of Awakening.


  • INCOMPLETE MANIFESTO FOR CHANGE     Bruce Mau
  • Keep moving. 
    The market and its operations have a tendency to reinforce success. Resist it. Allow failure and migration to be part of your practice.


I love these golden reflections-  sure beats my disco ball making my ceiling polka dotted!   



A collaboration (of sorts) between Mother Nature and Los Angeles-based artist Emilie Halpern, Shōka, Halpern’s current show at Peppin Moore, has been on view since the autumnal equinox on September 22nd, and it closes on the upcoming winter solstice on December 21st.  The exhibition has three stages, which is a concept derived in part from the shōka style of ikebana, the traditional Japanese art of floral composition. Part two was titled Shōka 天 (pronounced ten, meaning ‘heaven’) and it documented the sunlight in the gallery on the first day of the show.  Gold leaf marks the gallery space at the time when direct sunlight hit the interior on October 26, 2013.  


So, like I said, it's raining out there and I guess clouds and sunshine are on my mind!  Hope these guys are enjoying their snooze, they will soon have a busy adult life squawking at my dogs from the other side of whatever tree they see!
sleepy baby squirrels spooning


No comments :