Wednesday, May 28, 2014

mockingbird bay tenspot




The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks and starting on the first one.   Mark Twain


Well, as you probably know if your a 'frequent flyer' here, I am back in Florida with my doggies at my feet.  I had to get the plug for the computer replaced today but the first stop was the studio to see if I already had the extra part and I di.  But once I get there all hell breaks loose and I lose all sense of time and place.  It happened today-  I was thinking I should get home to walk the dogs and eat some lunch, looked at my watch and it was 3 PM!  So I shut all systems down and locked up-  I had been there since 9.

I got four more of the Fornasetti faces framed and started doing it assembly-line style and it did go faster.  I have 6 to go now so I'll be able to finish it up in the next day or two.  I also cut and assembled another paste paper box with (I think) 6 more of those to go too.  Then I tackled finding two quilts for the shows I am included in.  I had decided on 'August' as a tongue-in-cheek offering for the Garden show, 

but in unwrapping the logs of quilts I found 'Phalaenopsis' 
which I think is a better choice in spite of August having a couple of squirrels!  Whatja think?  #2 is much smaller and has more work on it, as well as an attempt to sew nori on as tropical leaves.  #1 is a bunch of layered collaged 30's tablecloths.  Anyway, now I don't have to work on that so I turned my attentions to three Calls for Entry.  

One is due in July and limited to Florida artists so I really want to send something along.  The problem is tha the size is preordained at 20"w x 52"l, odd to say the least.  But I found a photograph I took this spring and it will work so I pulled fabrics for that and did some photoshop to make it fit the space.  Now I have to start on this asap because I MUST take the picture before the end of the month to get it out.

BECAUSE ....wait....wait....

I am going back to Boston for July and August.  Against my will.  TY is flying down with Nate to pick up the dogs and drive them back to Boston.  So I am doing this on a trial basis and the first minute I am sitting there watching daytime tv bored out of my mind, I make a reservation back!  I can't stand to be away from my studio.  

Meanwhile I found some figure drawing classes nearby I'll sign on for tomorrow.  I gotta be doing something.  I'm also looking at some other classes at Bennington, the MassArt summer program.  The other thing I need to do is see the Pilgrim Roy show on my own time, and get out to MassMoCA for an overnight-  it's been a long time and I love western MA.  

So, my days are cut out for me for the next three months.  Any spare time I can get the condo more ready to sell at a moment's notice, and get some boxes packed of stuff I want to send down here for the new place.  Oy.

Want some art?  Let's start with some suit-case cities!  Grab your traveling' shoes-




There’s packing for a trip, and then there’s this. Popping out of soft shell luggage we see towering city blocks, skyscrapers and bridges in a rainbow of colors. It’s as if someone packed up the city and brought it along. The works are part of Chinese artist Yin Xiuzhen’s series Portable City, and fittingly, each piece is made from second-hand clothing.






Perched at the window of his Cessna 172, photographer Klaus Leidorf crisscrosses the skies above Germany while capturing images of farms, cities, industrial sites, and whatever else he discovers along his flight path, a process he refers to as “aerial archaeology.” Collectively the photos present a fascinating study of landscapes transformed by the hands of people—sometimes beautiful, sometimes frightening. Since the late 1980s Leidorf has shot thousands upon thousands of aerial photographs and currently relies on the image-stabilization technology in his Canon EOS 5D Mark III which is able to capture the detail of single tennis ball as it flies across a court.

OK, I think you're caught up.  
Acrobatic practice.  Next he goes for TWO squirrels.



No comments :