Thursday, June 19, 2014

accra jag gale



Art will remain the most astonishing activity of mankind, born out of struggle between wisdom and madness, between dream and reality, in our mind. (Magdalena Abakanowicz)


I know, I sorta went from ridiculous to sublime there, but I can only work with what I have...  

I'm too lazy to match up my posters and quotes if it doesn't happen naturally.  Got a text this morning from a son and daughter of TY's cousin that they are in town and looking for breakfast so we went to my favorite diner and indulged.  Ohhh, I miss my breakfasts out!  I'm going to do this whether there is somebody sitting across from me or not.  Breakfast is my favorite meal.  Afterwards I hit the studio and worked on a few more of the paste paper boxes.  I am *thinking* I need to punch holes in all the sides and bottoms and then put them on a string of lights-  but in my head I can't figure out how to get perfect cuts in the sides now that they are assembled-  I am not all that adept with an Xacto to make 10 boxes x 5 circles each and keep them looking good.  I know there are cutters that you hammer on to cut, not sure if it would go through the thicknesses I've built up.  What the hell, they re pretty and maybe they are OK to just leave as boxes...  Anyway, these are not immediate problems to deal with.

Immediate problems are getting stuff hauled out of here.  When I took the trash out yesterday I was suddenly;y made aware that all my mosaic-making stuff is on shelves in the garage, weighing heavily now on both the shelves AND my mind!  I am bagging up bunch at a time and sticking them in the trash.  Mostly tiles leftover from kitchens and baths of my past as well as all the broken and chipped dishes I collected from the Home Goods sale shelves, friends, and my own slippery handed family.  I did some pretty big jobs-  the long bathroom counter was all old ironstone and white antique china-  it's many sharp edges taught me a lesson to file edges  BEFORE sticking them down.  Good thing we moved, I can't imagine getting that counter out of there.  I also found a rolling wooden box at a thrift shop and completely covered it in shells and it looked great as an outdoor table.  Unfortunately I left it out during a hurricane summer and it got wet from underneath and the grout failed as the wood veneer peeled off.  Then I had a big glass bowl I used small glass ties on-  completely covered it and grouted it and it looked great until you tried to actually move it.  Imagine a cement bowl and you have the idea-  the glass really only gave it shape.  So, that is my mosaic history.  I can throw out this crap now.

I have an opening tonight at the Lighthouse Art Center, so I'll hike over there at the opening bell and leave as it gets crowded.  It means dressing up a notch since all I've been in for a month now is jeans.  When I dropped off, EVERYTHING else was a painting, a serious painting featuring that damn palm tree against that damn sunset with a damn bird somewhere.  Not me, I sent the twins hanging with the old ladies and I betcha nobody even notices it!  So, if you're in the area and the thunder and lightening subsides a little, c'mon over to Tequesta and maybe we'll find the cheese plate!  





I read an article in the Globe yesterday that Janet Echelman is doing an installation over the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Very cool!  The thing I didn't know, even though I've followed her work for a long time now, is that she works out of Brookline, the next town to where I live up there.  Janet Echelman builds sculpture that is experiential in nature: sculpture that shifts from being an object you look at, to something you can get lost in. Using unlikely materials such as fishing net, Echelman combines ancient craft with cutting-edge technology to create her sculpture at the scale of buildings. Recent prominent works include: Skies Painted with Unnumbered Sparks in Vancouver; The Space Between Us in Santa Monica, CA; and 1.26 in Singapore, Amsterdam, Sydney, and Denver. She is the 2012 winner of the Boston Society of Architects’ Women in Design Award of Excellence. 






don't you hate it when I send out gifs?  
Parade is an interactive art installation concevied by ceramacist Laurent Craste and digital agency Dpt. for the Chromatic festival in Montreal. At first glance the piece looks rather mundane: two misshapen porcelain vases sit atop a pedestal inside a wood cube, lit from above by an industrial light. But move the light and suddenly the magic happens as shadows projected from the vases animate to life. What a fun piece.
Update: Of course things like this are never as simple as they appear. Dpt. explains further that the animated “shadows” are coming from a hidden projector which tracks the movements of the faux light source. We’ve been tricked! But I suppose that’s kind of the point.


Your Own Squirrel Pelt - The Envy Of The Neighborhood

Step 1: Items Required

1 x Dead Squirrel
1 x Sharp Knife
1 x Lb of Salt
2 x Rags
1 x Cutting Board
1 x Non Queasy Stomach
ick ick ick

No comments :