Tuesday, June 17, 2014

carton neonatal irretrievable




The fact is that blank pages inspire me with terror. What will I put on them? Will it be good enough? Will I have to throw it out? (Margaret Atwood)


This morning I drove up to Stuart to meet a new Florida 'Pod' for a start-up meeting.  There were some interesting and accomplished women there AND it's only 35 minutes away so I think it's a 'go' for me.  Nobody seemed to be too into formal organization or little projects and it seemed to me that we all got along and liked each other's work.  Let us hope that this is my answer to wanting a group for support.  We will only meet every other month and that seemed workable, not cutting into studio time too much, or my stitch group I've had here for a long time on Tuesdays.  Of course I miss the next meeting because I'll be in Boston, drat, but I can pick up again in October.  That seems so far away, but it seems like March was just here!  
I barely got home and took care of the livestock when it was time to go to a new wine bar here in town with the gurlz.  Cool place, wine is all lined up with it's pertinent info and you can buy a 1 oz, a 4 oz, or a full glass of wine for different prices.  I was a cheap date and only sampled two-  just too tired I guess.  But I hope to go back when TY gets back in town so I can show him what has become of his favorite cigar bar!  

Yesterday you may remember I was yammering on about connections and relationships and Susan picked up on it and sent along these wonderful images:


Think back, or LOOK BACK, to yesterday's post about Christina Mauersberger's stitchery that I loved so much---  don't these lovely aboriginal paintings strike the same chords?  Susan sent these to me today and I am struck with they similarities.  She was prompted to send them because of my mention of Dorothy Caldwell's class on mark making.  And this certainly hits that mark, doncha think?  Dorothy Napangards paintings were highly sought after by both collectors and curators worldwide. In 1991 she won the Best Painting in European Media, 8th National Aboriginal Art Award; in 1998 the Northern Territory Art Award; and she was "Highly Commended" for the 16th National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Award in 1999. In 2001 Dorothy won the 18th National Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Art Award ,presented by Telstra, with her spectacular black and white painting titled, "Salt on Mina Mina". 


Staying with the black and white theme, but taking it in a different and odd, direction-




The wax man- Untitled (2011) – Paraffin wax mixture, pigment, steel and wicks. 
 Urs Fischer is an artist originally from Switzerland who creates both sculptural and installations pieces. Fischer is currently based out of New York.





And here we have Teddy Pruett's brother playing with his pet baby squirrel!  She sent it to me to prove he had it.  Picture probably from the 50's.  Thanks to Teddy for being the family archivist.  I hope the green isn't the color that the B&W photo has devolved into.  There was  a period in the 70's when Kodak film was terrible-  it faded quickly to blue-  think of posters in drug store windows!  My engagement pictures and Mandy's baby pictures were so faded you couldn't recognize them after only a decade.  I contacted the photographers and they reprinted them and they have remained their original intended color since then.  But maybe it's just the photo of a photo?  Whatever, it's a keeper.

No comments :