Saturday, June 07, 2014



We had a dim premonition that power-mad gangsters would one day use art itself as a way of deadening men's minds. (Hans Jean Arp)


My day was somewhat 'colored' by #1 Dog who was having a little adjustment problem to her insulin-  this basically means she was driking copious amounts of water and then not being able to get outside in time, thus peeing in the house.  This has been happening during the night so we make a point of taking her out later and later.  Now I have learned that I must also inject her later and later because she is needing to drink.  So last night things had been going OK for awhile and I was exhausted by about 10 so we all went to bed.  Of course I took her out first and filled her bowl for the night.  In an hour and a half she was pawing the bed to wake me up to go out.  Out we went, in we came and back to bed.  Repeat every hour and a half until I got smart and took away her water, shut the door to the bedroom, yelled at her and she finally settled down.  But not me, nope, I stayed on watch 'just in case', and because after being awakened three times I naturally assumed #4 was going to be soon.  So we were up and out again at 6, inside for breakfast and another injection and the eye drop routine and the pill routine she will only take with almond butter or she spits it out in secret places.

Then, I walked them down the street again at 7:45 because I was meeting the Walking Nazi at 8 and NOT taking the dogs since it's like trying to drive two wheelbarrows at once and I can't talk to my friend.  Back a little after 9 and out we go again.  After that trip I collapsed in a heap and read a book that arrived the previous day I hadn't had time to even crack.  I didn't get to the studio until noon.

And that's where the shit hit the fan.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong-  I was doing some FMS and it went well for a few minutes until I got to a fused part.  The needled seemed to not go through easily, though it wasn't picking up any sticky stuff, just dragging.  I tried with feed dogs up and down, I tried with different threads and then different bobbin threads but it was still jerky jerky stitching and damn ugly.  The area I was working on was some unknown fusible, not the new MistyFuse and I wonder if that is the problem.  Tomorrow I'll start working on some of that fabric and see if it makes a difference.  Drat, I was blasting along as a great rate, and now this.  I may have to rethink this whole thing.


Art School Pulp, certainly not any of the three (count 'em!) art schools I went to!  Two major issues I have with this book cover are that I never saw an art student without his shirt on, usually with two or three shirts on because it was damn cold in the figure drawing room up in the tower.  And then there's the model issue-  the standard figure model was a big fat ugly old women with scars on her belly and an overbite with frizzy long red hair.  Her poses were not like this.  The male model we used the most was a skinny little gay guy who loved to pose with a very long stick and he would always do sort of athletic poses but he couldn't hold them long at all, was always falling out of them and his stick would crash to the grouns.  He was also old, and not very interesting to draw.  The fat lady with her rolls of flesh was good-  I think she fell asleep in every pose and she loved to pose lying down!  Of course we all smoked in class, as did they on their breaks as they walked around critiquing our work- uninvited!





  Brazilian artist Henrique Oliveira (previously) recently completed work on his largest installation to date titled Transarquitetônica at Museu de Arte Contemporânea da Universidade in São Paulo. As with much of his earlier sculptural and installation work the enormous piece is built from tapumes, a kind of temporary siding made from inexpensive wood that is commonly used to obscure construction sites. Oliveira uses the repurposed wood pieces as a skin nailed to an organic framework that looks intentionally like a large root system. Because the space provided by the museum was so immense, the artist expanded the installation into a fully immersive environment where viewers are welcome to enter the artwork and explore the cavernous interior. Transarquitetônica will be on view through the end of November this year,









People who look like their doughnuts!  Or doughnuts that look like the people who buy them!


A little print on burlap, so squirrely!




No comments :