Monday, July 14, 2014

cotta leaven discrepant



My work consists of mixing colored pencil lines to produce the intended color for realistic images and then translating these drawings into thread... mixing many threads – in free sewing machine embroidery – to create a different texture of the image. (B. J. Adams)


I bit the bullet and signed on to Craftsy the other day, thinking if I am stuck here with no supplies and nothing to do but knit hexagons, Maybe I should do something hone my skills!  Oh lordy, I am so tired of walking dogs.  Anyway I signed on to a class with Natalie Chanin of Alabama Chanin fame-  something I have always wanted to do.  The pattern for a coat was included in the class fee and that's on the way but I still have to order 6 yards of fabric and a whole list of stuff that is currently sitting back in my studio. I do NOT want to buy new versions of needles and cutting mats and all the equipment and stuff for stenciling.  I've watched half the videos and it isn't rocket science so I'll finish watching the last few episodes and then take off on a project when I get back.  Meanwhile to order the fabric first you have to send for the $10 color chart, so I am going to limit myself to gray and ...gray, I think.  Maybe I can find something suitable in real life but fabric stores are so few and far between anymore.

But in poking around the site I was shocked at the prices that the completed garments are getting!  Maybe this is how I'll make my fortune.  I have already owned two tank tops I picked up on final sale at Anthropologie a few years back but never saw the line reappear.  The tank tops on the site were $700-$800 and up!  I think my sale tops cost $30.  I had to send them off the the great beyond when I outgrew them, sadly.  

My very modest goal of doing two hexagons a day has proved daunting-  even counting the one I finished on the plane, I'm four short of the quota.  All this settling in and the golf tournament and food shopping has cut into my 'alone' time.  Sigh.  I'll try to do another one tonight.  Right now I am going to go tend my zucchini spaghetti to make a dent in the kid's CSA box I inherited when they were out of town-  I didn't know lettuce could weigh as much as my dog, or that bok choi-  ONE BOK CHOI- would fill a whole shopping bag.  No wonder I don't do that any more.
(Do you think I'll believe it's real spaghetti?  Nah, me either.)








A giant red ball has traveled the globe for the past 13 years. Aptly called the RedBall Project, it’s stopped in cities from Paris to Perth and is currently stationed in Rennes, France at the historic Place de la Mairie. It’s there from July 3rd to July 9th as part of the Les Tombées de la Nuit Arts Festival.The larger-than-life inflatable sphere is currently squeezed into the Opéra de Rennes’ narrow archways and begs for the passersby to interact with it; at 250 pounds and 15 feet tall, it’s hard to miss. Reminiscent of a child’s toy on steroids, it adds a sense of playfulness to the landscape as it’s photographed, touched, and even bounced into.







In New Hampshire-based artist Megan Bogonovich’s magical ceramic sculptures, well-dressed women and men peek into gigantic anemones and castle-like coral reefs, plunging headfirst inside like Alice in Wonderland. Looking at the sculptures is similar to reading an enchanting fairytale, with each ornate detail given the attention and intricacy usually afforded to the illustrations in a children’s storybook. Bogonovich’s eye for detail is perhaps most evident in the underwater creatures poised to swallow their small-scale human counterparts. In New Hampshire-based artist Megan Bogonovich’s magical ceramic sculptures, well-dressed women and men peek into gigantic anemones and castle-like coral reefs, plunging headfirst inside like Alice in Wonderland. Looking at the sculptures is similar to reading an enchanting fairytale, with each ornate detail given the attention and intricacy usually afforded to the illustrations in a children’s storybook. Bogonovich’s eye for detail is perhaps most evident in the underwater creatures poised to swallow their small-scale human counterparts. 


very warm day ending in very warm rain

1 comment :

Christine Nielsen said...

I am fond of saying that the bok choy that comes from our CSA is as big as my thigh - and I'm a cyclist.

We got a gigantic head of romaine lettuce the other day. I ended up grilling it - great way to reduce the volume. We ate almost all of it in one night.