Tuesday, July 22, 2014

creep curricula accept



In my line of business, there's no better feeling than having a real nice work that you're really satisfied with. (Gregg Allman)


 Homefront & Battlefield: Quilts & Context in the Civil War.A fascinating show that has largely been under the art radar, it tells the story of American slavery through period quilts, fabrics, and textiles. Amid the lavish patriotic quilts, colorful hand-sewn flags, and refined period costumes, a darker and more gruesome story is woven through the exhibition.On the right is a quilt made by Lucinda Ward Honstain of Brooklyn to commemorate the Civil War and chronicle post-war life. The quilt is also the most expensive quilt ever sold at auction, as it fetched $264,000 at Sotheby’s in 1991. Lucinda Ward Honstain (1820-1904), “Reconciliation Quilt” (1867), cotton, appliquéd. (International Quilt Study Center & Museum, University of Nebraska-Lincoln) (photo by the author for Hyperallergic)



New yarn bomb found in Ireland via Facebook-  each little cobblestone has a warm sweater, so pretty!


Today we made a plan to go visit the new Newton Wegman's supermarket.  I wanted Ty to see how cool a supermarket could actually be!  We didn't need any food except for a chicken for the dogs so that's all I planned on buying and told him so.  Well, HA.  He did a bit of impulse shopping that cost me next week's food budget.  Fortunately I had started out with the small cart they offer, rather than the regular one, because he filled it overflowing.  I can barely jam it all into my refrigerator.  He remarked on how nice everybody was, and he should know-  he talked to everybody..

OF course they are 'nice'-  this place was started in Western NY where you can sit at an intersection for a half hour waving at the other cars who are waving at you to go first.  Nobody moves-  they are too NICE to.  So TY started asking everybody we interacted with where they were from and sure enough, they were all from western and central NY state somewhere.  I used to shop in Wegmans when I was trying to help out my aging parents long distance-  would always stop and stock up before getting to their house because I knew the spices in my mom's rack hadn't been touched in 20 years, and anything on the second shelf and above was highly suspect because she couldn't reach that high.  So I have always had a soft spot in my own WNY heart for the place, and was beyond happy we now have one of our own.  Now I have to figure out how to talk them into expanding to Florida, preferably near me.  





  When admiring California-based artist Sam Larson’s artworks, you might think you’re looking at a mostly blank piece of paper. But squint a bit and you’ll see that his illustrations are no larger than a penny!
To prove the size of his works, he places a penny right beside it. His drawings include images of cowboys, bison, lumberjacks, and bears. ‘I gather my inspiration from the American West’, Larson says. ‘I like to get out into the mountains and desert whenever possible’.




 Yes, this is now happening in a Tokyo museum: an interactive exhibition about poop, toilets and all that sort of thing. Even space toilets are featured. A major highlight, as these pictures show, is a giant replica of a flush toilet playground, probably a Toto, where kids wearing turd hats climb on it with the help of a ladder, and then fall in down a slide. Can’t tell if the toilet seat is up or down though…


And a warning to all of you if you see me in a line for anything at all-  change immediately to the other line, ANY other line!  I am the pink bear...

STAY IN QUEUE from Laboratoire Ferdinand Lutz on Vimeo.




And finally a cute little mid-century wooden squirrel pin sent by a reader the other day-  how I wish it didn't have a sold sign on the page, but I can enjoy him here with his little green ball instead.

No comments :