Tuesday, October 11, 2016

vocabulary vocal vocalic

“Friends should always tell you the truth. But please don’t.”  Louis C.K.




awww, a baby with his still skinny tail.


Two days running and I finally got to the studio and cleared off one whole table!  This is a feat of endurance in itself.  I have a whole pile of things I am GONNA make as soon as I have a chance, so I emptied a big trash basket and piled it all in there.  Then, of course I made the mistake of opening a drawer that was labeled 'painted and dyed silks'.  And there right on top was the 3 yard piece of indigo dyed velvet from years ago.  This simply has to Be Something this year.  It appears I also dyed a plain piece which will sure help with the tie dye and clamped pattern overall.  And OK, so I also printed on it in gold.  It's kind of a mess, but with enough of the plain blue I think it will be a nice jacket.  

Then, I have a few rolls of marbleized wallpaper leftover from the house, and store it in the studio to use for books, but I have a whole roll and some scraps that in my addled brain I see in the condo bathroom in Boston, but there is only enough for one full length and then some odd shapes.  SO I am cutting it into blocks and will install it unmatched so it will look like classy cement blocks.  I'll have to measure when I get there-  I'd love to use it all up since I had to pay for it anyway.  

And I managed to glue down a few more elements in two of the 3 books I'm working on, I just can't quite get a handle on any of them, probably because I went to the class with no preconceived notions like I was told.  I should have had a theme-  COWS, for instance.  Maybe that would have been a better plan.

And speaking of glue, I bought some new resin formula to try to get the slab of rock back adhered to the metal base on the bathroom cabinets.  It's going to dry the full 24 hours, I will not mess with it until then.  I also glued the little man-bun thingy back on the casserole lid that I knocked off the other night.  I've had these dishes for 40 years now, but I got so upset that the little bump broke off.  We'll see if that sticks too.  Fingers crossed.

Last Christmas I was late out of the gate and grabbed 2 wreathes for my front gate that looked very ratty.  This year I will get nice ones but the ratty ones today got a coat of black spray paint and I bought some wide black burlap ribbon so I now use them as HALLOWEEN wreathes.  I also have a pile of paper mache pumpkins, mostly white and a few black for the front door.  And at the studio today I found my big box of fake crows so I have them tied to the top of the gate now too.  The big deal is, however, that no kids trick or treat here.  There are a few that live here but I think they head for greener pastures that night and I don't blame them.  We do NOT have one of these:  HOA rules.

Don't ya just know they have spotlights on him at night?


ART PART









 Kintsugi (or kintsukuroi) is a Japanese method for repairing broken ceramics with a special lacquer mixed with gold, silver, or platinum. The philosophy behind the technique is to recognize the history of the object and to visibly incorporate the repair into the new piece instead of disguising it. The process usually results in something more beautiful than the original. Tokyobike, in London, recently had a Kintsugi workshop. If you’d like to try the technique yourself, Humade offers gold and silver DIY kintsugi kits. 


note to self


In Other News, I got a stack of postcards to send out for the photography show, 'Uncommon Exposures in Craft Based Media' at the Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton MA.  It opened this weekend and is there until January 22, so stop by if you are in the area.  the reception is 2-5 on November 6th, but I have to return to FL on the 2nd so I can't be there for that.  Hey, this is a big deal, I have never been in a photography show before!  Then you must tell me about it.

No comments :