Friday, January 20, 2017

osmosis osmotic cottage

‘Take a minute to build a small obos (three or more rocks piled on top of one another). You can come back in 365 days to see if it’s still standing.” (Robert Genn)


Hey kids, it's finally arrived after much anticipation!  Our annual highest holy day, 

SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY


and so it goes.


I've been taken over by doing things I haven't been around to complete all month.  I'm doing my massive closet cleanse, trying to find a carpet cleaner, deflating the 7' cockroach to retire it to a sealed box in the garage, picking up the tiniest Lego pieces that surely must be scattered around like fairy dust after I go to bed.  Removing them is like picking up glitter...And getting interrupted on my way to the studio every day!  But hey, I just can't turn down these offers from real people-  I tend to avoid real people as you may have gathered after all these years but I actually went to lunch  with a dear old friend the other day, and then yesterday found myself enthusiastically playing navigator to a big orchid farm a friend wanted to get to. Unfortunately it cost me big, not as big as her amazing arrangement she had put together, but I am still loving the dalmation spots on the three plants I got-

And yeah and behold, I have three other plants with similar dots and splashes of maroon on white-  they are all tied to my trees reblooming for me.  The coolest thing about orchids is that I cannot kill them if I just leave them alone!  Years ago I did a little quilt about them foreshadowing my love of them:

I wasn't as much interested in the flower when I did this as I was in the foliage-  I cut up nori seaweed and sewed it on and it turned into a pretty good leather substitute that has lasted for years... well, until I cut up all my quilts.  So much for foliage.


A quick and quite enlightening ARTY PARTY before I leave:









For the last 20 years, unassuming Dutch photographer Hans Eijkelboom has traversed the world, picking a spot, be it in Shanghai, New York, or Paris, and meticulously photographed what he saw. “I take between 1 and 80 photographs a day, almost every day, 12 months a year,” he says, referring to his “Photo Notes” project, which has now been turned into a book titled People of the Twenty-First Century. The “Photographic Journal,” published by PHAIDON, is the largest, most comprehensive work of his to date, and includes thousands of photos that, together, create a fascinating picture of mankind.
The “anti-sartorial” photographs of everyday people capture specific visual themes – people in red jackets, men with bare chests on roller blades – that are grouped together with the date, city and time range they were taken. And this combination and repetition is what makes the photographs so powerful. Viewed separately, they would hardly even catch our eye.

And away I go to go work on some dead palm fronds for the new piece on the wall!  Maybe I'll add some fallen orchid blossoms too...

And a parting Squirrel~




No comments :