Wednesday, June 21, 2017

zeroed behaviorally supermarket

"Play is the work of the child." (Maria Montessori)



Here is what I'm thinking...  since I seem to have lost all my readers and can't figure out why, I am gonna keep posting for a bit longer out of spite.  I've been at this for so long that it shouldn't matter if anybody comes back or not.  I started out writing a blog as a combo journal, diary, and idea tank.  And I can end up that way any time since it doesn't matter if anybody else sees it or not.  So, above is today's squirrel, below is today's arty party all about wood.  Well, certainly not 'ALL ABOUT' but a couple of pushy ideas appear that I think are terminally cool.  See? Nothing changed and all of you en masse got bored to the bone and left to join your nearest Modern Quilting Guild.  

(Hmm, I could say something about those who don't know history are bound to repeat it but I won't.)

Tomorrow afternoon my new machine is being installed so that will be a great step forward, and truthfully I can't imagine blogging about anything less thrilling than that.  Whew, that will drive out the last quilter I am holding onto!   Like this:

"AND THEN I TRIED THE TENSION BUT THAT DIDN"T STOP THE PROBLEM SO I KEPT AT IT AND CLEANED AND OILED THE MACHINE,AND FIDDLED WITH THE..."  See what I mean?  I will not be blogging about my new fist fights with the quilting machine.  And I know you are already bored with the whole idea.  So, after tomorrow or possibly the next day I will take a picture of it in all its pristine beauty and that will be the last you hear for awhile.

And I did think of blogging about something even less interesting than the building of the quilt machine-  how about THE FOLDING OF ALL MY FABRIC?  You have been super patient with me as I chug along from one shelf to the next, gallantly not complaining as I toss willy nilly scraps into the trash.  And I have posted forteenthirty or so pictures of the neatly folded stacks which we all know by now are forming their own union against neatness and order.

I can't wait for tomorrow, but for now, it's WOOD!



 

                
 If you had to summarize an all-encompassing theme to describe Maskull Lasserre’s artistic practice, the word would probably be tension. From the balance of life and death to the opposing forces of war and peace, the Candian artist explores tension not only metaphorically but physically as well. Case in point, his latest piece titled Schrodinger’s Wood carved from the trunk of an Ash tree that relies on the tree’s inner core to serve as a tangled mass of rope in the process of fraying from the weight of itself.




Recently unveiled at the MadArt space in Seattle, Middle Fork is the lastest sculptural work by artist John Grade who worked with countless volunteers to realize this enormous scale mold of a 140-year-old tree.
The process began a year ago when Grade and a crew of assistants scaled a Western Hemlock tree in North Bend, Washington with help of a team of arborists. At nearly 90 feet in the air they created sectional plaster molds of the living tree which were carefully lowered and transported back to the MadArt space over a period of two weeks. Over the next 12 months, hundreds of volunteers (some who walked in right off the streets) helped to create a hollow sculpture of the tree using hundreds of thousands of small wood blocks. The final piece was carefully sanded down and is now suspended in the gallery. 





 Artist Michael Beitz designed two more of his amazing sculptural tables in the last year. The first is called Tree Picnic, a functional 50-foot-long picnic table that branches like a tree at the Michigan Riley Farm in Buffalo, NY. The other piece is a 18-foot-long tangle of looping wood titled Not Now, referring to the table’s anti-social design. The sculpture was on view last year as part of his solo show called Maybe Later at the Roswell Museum and Art Center. You can see more of his strange interpretations of everyday furniture in this online gallery.

WoodSwimmer is a new short film by engineer and stop-motion animator Brett Foxwell, who has built armatures for films such as Boxtrolls and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Created in collaboration with musician and animator bedtimes, the work follows a piece of raw wood through a milling machine, capturing its unique growth rings, knots, and weathered spots through a series of cross-sectional photographic scans. Due the speed at which the images are animated, the log’s grains begin to flow like granules of sand—shifting, mixing, and flowing in a vibrant dance that seems completely removed from its rigid material.

2 comments :

Janet W said...

We saw this piece in Seattle thanks to your blog. I wouldn't have known about it. It is magnificent in person. Please keep on with this blog.

Max said...

I was getting your blog via feedblitz and then it stopped delivering it to my email . . . I've tried every way I can think of to get it to keep delivering to my email since I keep forgetting to check to see what you have posted . . . my bad!