Sunday, July 02, 2017

multiphastic stadtholdership cermet

“Acrylic may not be for everyone, but it is used by more artists today that any other painting medium.” 
(Stephen Quiller)
A squirrel birdbath?  I dunno, as long as it's a squirrel I grab it.

A friend solved my mystery for me when she mentioned that her Feed has up and dissolved. That sorts explains how my stats have plummeted overnight.  I don't think I said anything that would turn all of you away at once, but if I did, tell me!  Anyway, if your automatic feed used to send me along to you with each new post, it isn't working now.  Feel weird putting up each new post on Facebook like some do- probably because I am all over the map on what I talk about.  If you think I should, tell me.  


Pertaining to the quote above, I started art school right after acrylic paint was invented- it was developed in the 50's in it's current form- and it was the newest bestest thing to come along in many years.  Before the 60's it was called synthetic paint because it was color suspended in a polymer.  Then it was called  LATEX paint and primarily manufactured as house paint- and if you remember your art history, it was Jackson Pollock who was known for throwing/ dripping latex house paint at his canvasses-  same thing as acrylic paint now, but cans of house paint were cheaper by far. 

 When I entered my first painting class I had a set of old oils from my dad, but the professor told us that we now have a CHOICE (and you know by now I am all about CHOICE, right?)  as he explained the differences, the pros of each and the cons and we could choose which to use in class. And we were cautioned to make sure we knew what we wanted because they would be with us the rest of our artful lives.  Daunting thoughts!  Now, my hand-me-down oils were pretty dried up and messy and I really wanted the acrylics since that seemed to be the wave of the future.  So, I gave the oils to a friend who wanted them and then every week I would race to the bookstore to get a new tube of Liquitex acrylics. Pretty soon I had a good collection and learned to love how they could be watercolors, or tempera (gouache), or oils, all the same paint!  And I have stuck with them now for over 50 years (gag!) and unbelievably still have a tube or two of the original batch- I can tell because they are in the old metal tubes!

Do I paint?  Nope.  But I sometimes print on fabric to use in a quilt, or I need a toned color page for a book I'm making, or a shelf needs a coat of paint, or, not often, I want to marbleize something or stencil something or paint out a mistake somewhere.  I love my paints.  

Here are some manufacturers websites with ideas and information to keep you going a long time.  There are all sorts of extenders and retarders for each version, as well as different formulations for different applications.  Most of your questions can be answered on these sites.  In addition, in an art store there are frequently flyers available for free to take home and read of all the different techniques and uses.  Take advantage of all this free information!




GRUMBACHER   (from Amazon)
  
FOLKART   (made by Plaid)

All of these are available at real Art Stores, College Bookstores, online, and at Craft Stores like Michaels and Joanns BUT you really should seek out an art store for a complete supply of all the additional mediums and varnishes and extenders you may need for your applications.  Take money, lots of it!  Or, like me, collect paints over time.  Hey, some women collect jewelry!

In Other News, TY is back home, the pool is getting used again and the new privacy shade is being appreciated by all those OUTside, and the dogs are SO happy!  They have him trained to give them cookies if they simply sit and stare.  Drives me crazy.  I am back cooking and have Joule, my fancy immersion cooker slopping away cooking a steak for dinner.  It's on an App and it rang a few minutes ago and will be held in it's perfect temperature water for a very long time until *I* am ready to quickly sear it to make it pretty.  So, for now, I will go throw together a salad and charcoal the steak a bit, and check back in here later.  

Later:

Told ya.  

And anyway, it's time for the Arty Party

I made this one extra big so you could see the stitching






And this one is X-big because I really like parrots!


Warsaw-based embroidery artist Paulina Bartnik stitches colorfully lifelike brooches of birds and other tiny creatures in a dense style called needle painting. Each object begins as a piece of wool which she prods with a special needle in a process called dry felting which results in a surface ideal for embroidery. She then paints with a needle directly on the felt and embroiders the finer details. 

Happy Fourth, Everybody.  Stay away from fireworks in the backyard-
You need those fingers!


SaveSave

1 comment :

Max said...

If you won't, I swear I will!