Friday, September 22, 2017

nauseousness Victorian numberless

"The chief enemy of creativity is 'good' sense.”  Picasso




Getting better every day.  Yesterday morning Pepper's vet called to see how I was doing and give me there report that he indeed had a quick moving pneumonia and it had happened also to her own dog a few years ago and she also had no idea of the seriousness.  Anyway, I felt a little less guilty.  And possibly will drop my self induced 'Bad Mom' description someday soon.  Molly thinks I hung the moon lately.  My life is full of weirdness.

And it's without guilt that I admit to not being a very good mom to my own real kids.  I watch how they interact with their own kids and am amazed at how 'nice' they both are.  Missed that boat!  Not much guilt, either.


There is a giant black cloud hovering and my phone just informed me that there is a chance of rain within my preferred 5 mile radius.  Ha!  Maybe it's just as easy to SEE the actual rain?  Because it's now pouring.  Gotta figure how to opt out of this notification because in south Florida it hits about 10X a day.

I did manage to get a couple of 'gifts' off to old friends, quilters, who appreciate boxes of crap arriving unannounced.  I sent off a box of barkcloth to Lowell and a padded envelope of vintage Japanese silk samples, all pink, to a guy who appreciates Ugg-ly fabrics in San Francisco.  And I also hauled a whole box of vintage fabrics to Goodwill, hope there are other people like me who dig out their sewing area and think they hit pay dirt.  I tossed out a cotton gray and yellow remnant that my mom used for a shower curtain in the house we moved into in 1950.  About time, eh?

Irma made it plain that I need to do some 'redecorating' in the studio.  And I must drill into my head that LESS IS MORE!  I had picked everything off the floor and set it on any available surface.  The rug nearest the giant garage door was wadded up and stuck on a chair, books were covered with plastic, and machines taped into black garbage bags.  I had just received 2 rolls of quilts back from Boston shows and I got those into the bathroom which has a false ceiling and hopefully wouldn't be prone to roof leaks.  Anyway, I didn't have any water damage so now I have to UNdo all this protective work.  Yes, a perfect opportunity to keep at the cleaning and hauling but it is absolutely overwhelming.

Yesterday I ordered new flannel sheets to cover my insulation boards I keep over the garage door- 3 giant 4x8 panels about 2" thick.  The sheets that have been on for about 5 years were all water stained at the bottom from water seeping under the door, dried rusty yellow and blossoming up a couple of feet.  There was also a lizard that lived on it, behind a table, and peed in a different color yellow.  He has since moved out.  The wet flannel attracted all sorts of gradeu (technical term for disgusting filth) dead bugs, nests and filaments and carcasses, ugh ugh ugh.  I tore it all off and was planning on bringing it home to wash but just couldn't stand the thought of touching it.  Tossed it out, ordered 3 new single bed sheets from Company Store, on sale, white, and I got a coupon for 15% off, so I spent EIGHTEEN DOLLARS for 3 new flat thick flannel sheets.  What a deal, certainly couldn't have bought 9 yards of fabric for that plus free shipping.  Hope this batch lasts another 5 years.

My plan is to get the new clean panels up off the floor and I scoured Home Depot for some 2x4 chunks or small cans, anything to allow space.  Oh yeah, plus I didn't want to actually spend any money...  found a bunch of plastic pot saucers, about 1" deep and I will set the insulation boards on those and  tie with an anchor string from the bolts on one side across to the other side.  I must keep the insulation boards against the garage door because it gets so hot from the sun that I can't touch it-  that whole end of the studio isn't usable when the insulation isn't there-  the sun beats on it all day.  

Yahoo, the sun is back out though it's still raining, so now I can get back to work!  A quick ARTY PARTY for ya, I am thankfully running out of my stash and now that I'm back online instead of talking to myself, I need to start mining for more soon!  If you find anything worthy, send it along! 

Meanwhile I think these picture frames are amazing!  





Artist Darryl Cox fuses ornate vintage picture frames with tree branches found in the forests of central Oregon. The branches serve as a simple reminder of the materials used to build picture frames, but also create an unusual form factor where clean lines and ornate moulding patterns seem to naturally traverse the bark of each tree limb. Each piece involves many hours of woodworking, sculpting, and painting.

And the Big News is that yesterday one of my friends returned for the season (she spends the summer in Italy) and she called together everybody she could find and managed to fill a table for 12 for lunch!  Many of them had returned after the hurricane, others spend their summers traveling, others go back up north to see family and friends.  I am so happy-  my little pool of 3 people to do things with has expanded x4!  This is the first wave, they will all be back by the end of October and we will be in full swing again.  And TY is coming back this week, so I'll be cooking again.  


1 comment :

Deanna said...

Sounds like you have a great vet - understanding and supportive. I hope I will be inspired by your studio cleaning to do some myself. Love the tree limb photo frames.