Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hunting and Gathering of the KNIT variety


You have got to see the collection of tiny knitted things done by Anna Hrachovec- she set herself a goal of one little thing a week and has kept it up for 2 years now. Below are just two thugs showing the variety of teensy things she does- from a popsicle to a whole factory!
Looks like she knits 'em on toothpicks.

At the other end of the spectrum, looking like the tool of choice might be baseball bats, I found these stools made by Claire-Anne O'Brien who likes to knit big! I love the sculptural appeal of these- go check the link for lots more.
And because I know you expect this from me, and I aim to please, here is artist Ben Cuevas knitted thyroid. He has a whole series of 'parts' on his site and if you hurry you can catch his unbelievable knitted skeleton on display until tomorrow at Latino Arts in Milwaukee. His work is simply amazing. (The skeleton was covered in an article in Interweave Knits recently.)


I know, it's a lot to digest but, since I am making a QR quilt, I found a woman who uses a knitting machine to knit a QR scarf here:

I actually think it would be as efficient to do it by hand- i's a long explanation! But frankly I feel my quilt is an easier go.

Lastly, did you know you can knit with just your fingers instead of toothpicks, baseball bats, or machines? Check out Vanessa Christensen's blog post about making the cool little bracelet from fabric scraps.

And I will leave you with this, the ultimate in knitting! I saw this in progress a few years ago at MoCA and was amazed that it could even happen. You thought that the stool knitting was big, hold on to your hats!


And that's that for this morning. I am off to work, well floated with way too much coffee, and a hot day ahead.

1 comment :

jackie said...

WOW, this takes knitting to a whole new level, crazy fun stuff.