Wednesday, September 12, 2012

finial pan changeable


 The auditory perception is not sufficient for our knowledge of the world; it does not have vastness. 
Robert Delaunay 

I had my bookbinding class again this morning and we are whizzing through all the different sewn bindings.  I'm really enjoying seeing how things are really done and making my samples as fast as I can.  I am only using junk papers I had lying around but find myself fiddling away with finding matching papers for the covers or fancy threads for the bindings-  I simply can't stop myself from trying to make something pretty even though these will never see the light of day!  One of the students brought in some books she had done in a class and it is giving me strength to take in a couple of mine to show too.  But I have weeks and weeks to go to decide.  By the end of the class I am wiped out, just the way I want to feel 
after racing to get it all done as I go.  The instructor is following along a book I already own so I think I'll slip all my samples into the appropriate pages as I go-  maybe make the pages that match up into little folded envelopes so I won't forget!

 Gorgeous soft cotton knit book scarf taken from the pages of Jane Eyre on Etsy HERE.

 SPIDERS!  And I thought I had problems with these critters!  But I do have a flat roof so maybe I can talk this guy into making my roof just as fabulous...  Seattle artist and science illustrator Marlin Peterson was recently commissioned by the Washington State Artist Trust to paint a mural somewhere in the city. After searching unsuccessfully for a suitably large wall, Peterson got the idea to look for a large roof, and where would a painting on a roof be more visiable than right underneath the Seattle Space Needle. An agreement was reached with the Seattle Center Armory (formerly the Center House) and he quickly began work on two daddy long-leg spiders using a technique called trompe l’oeil that creates the illusion when seen from above that giganto arachnids are actually overtaking the building. You can see many more photos and an explanation of his process over on Peterson’s website

Update: An earlier version of this post referred to these arthropods as spiders. While technically daddy long-legs belong to the class Arachnida, they fall into the order Opiliones, which means they aren’t spiders, they’re called harvestmen

 Paper Dresses! Hillwood Museum and Gardens, the former home of the General Foods Corporation heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post, is currently showing an exhibition of paperworks by Isabelle de Borchgrave inspired by historic costumes and dresses.  Trims, ribbons, buttons and even the lace on each outfit are all fashioned from various papers, painted in a trompe-l’oeil fashion to imitate the textiles of the period. Several of the dresses are displayed within the furnished rooms of the Hillwood Mansion, while others are shown in a more contemporary gallery setting within the Adirondack Building on the grounds. Definitely worth a visit when in the Washington, DC, area, the exhibition continues through December 30, 2012.

And now for two stories of unerring faith in dreams.  You'll weep.

Everything is Incredible



And Welcome to Planet EarthFilmed at the UFO Welcome Center in Bowman, SCWelcome to Planet Earth is the story of the extremely unique Jody Pendarvis and his 30 foot UFO he built in his front yard in the small town of Bowman, SC. After a sighting of alien life forms, Jody built the giant UFO as a place to welcome aliens when they return. All though visitors are welcomed to check out this unique and slightly odd landmark, Jody hopes that he will one day see the return of his friends from the sky. This is his story.


And that leads me to today's  squirrel!  Cute?

2 comments :

Max said...

What book are you using for your bookbinding class?

Unknown said...

Sandy,
That Circus cover asked a prescient question, didn't it? I have not done any serious double checking but it looks like only 4 of the big names have made it, McCartney, Dylan, Jagger and Star!!!!