Tuesday, September 10, 2013

greenbelt approximate analysis




 "An artist feels vulnerable to begin with; and yet the only answer is to discard more armor."  Eric Maisel 


Today I had a meeting with my little stitch group, we are trickling back into town after vacations away so had much to catch up on.  I got the whole little black quilt binding finished, then started the sleeve, just a short run, but everybody broke for lunch.  Drat, So close, yet so far!  Then I had to do a bunch of housewifery since TY is returning tomorrow and I had to get the dogs from the groomer (they removed the lizard juice all over Pepper) and I haven't had time to get back to just the tiny bit left to do.  I hate interruptions, but I pretty much think I will finish it tonight since the house isn't a mess and I will finally be able to sit down.  And sew!  I also have just one side of the Twins quilt to do too-  double my trouble.  

I was picking my dogs up at the kennel and they were featuring a new treat at the cash register-  little dog bone cookies made with crab and ALLIGATOR.  How perfect-  the damn alligators eat all those little dogs, and now we can feed the remaining dogs pieces of alligator.  Funnily enough I also made a stop at the local fish market and guess what they were selling in their frozen fish department-  Yup, alligator by the pound.  Now that all those swamp people have tv shows where they catch and wrestle the damn critters, I guess they need something to do with the insides of them-  personally I have my sights set on some of the outsides, perhaps of the shoe and bag category.  But anyway, alligators should be the theme today, but they're not.  


Continuing with the 'Sumpthin' from Nuthin' theme I started the other day, I have a bunch more to go.  After I clear my desktop with all these saved images I'll still show them as I find them.  One thing about this sort of artist is that the materials well is always full!  And this kind of artist gets their inspiration from all the stuff accumulated around him.  Yes, there is sometimes a fine line between a mess o' stuff and hoarding but an artist can do it for a reason other than mental illness, though of course that runs high in my population too...    We'll start with Jennifer Collier again:



Can I tell you how much I lust after all three of these?
Jennifer Collier, whose sewing macjhine I showed you the other day, has a few more here.  "My practice focuses on creating work from paper; by bonding, waxing, trapping and stitching I produce unusual paper ‘fabrics’, which are used to explore the ‘remaking’ of household objects. The papers are treated as if cloth, with the main technique employed being stitch; a contemporary twist on traditional textiles. The papers themselves serve as both the inspiration and the media for my work, with the narrative of the books and papers suggesting the forms. I tend to find items then investigate a way in which they can be reused and transformed; giving new life to things that would otherwise go unloved or be thrown away."  Tomorrow I have even more so check her site because there is SO much there!





These three works initially appear as interesting color studies but look closer!
Armed with colorful masking tape, Chicago-based artist ROBERT CHASE HEISHMAN transforms commonplace three-dimensional scenes into flattened geometric patterns. Taping, strategically, up walls, over flowerpots, and across door frames, Robert literally creates new frames of reference—an unexpected take on a familiar image.







Artist Chris Godfrey has created a 12-course tasting-menu in a tin can which starts with a selection of local cheeses and includes pickled kobe beef, ricotta ravioli, French onion soup and rib eye steak. The 12 courses are layered on top of each other in stripes of smooth purée forming a gelatinous 12 tier terrine in cylindrical form. Godfrey explains on his site, "The All in One 12 course meal offers the average Joe the chance to dine like royalty without the washing up."


Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.



    Love this, so serious!


build your own flying squirrel?

No comments :