Wednesday, November 13, 2013

capstone moody borrow




  • “If you want to really hurt you parents, and you don't have the nerve to be gay, the least you can do is go into the arts. I'm not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.” 

Whirlwind around here, and I'll have you know I need a sweater today.  I saw the shoulder doc this morning and he's pretty sure I have a frozen shoulder but now I need an MRI to confirm, so I've arranged that for tomorrow with a followup next week with the doc again on the day before I have to fly back.  Obviously I won't have any treatment by then so it looks like weeks more before I can even start that.  I called and put off the Mammogram until I get back, and the Colonoscopy will have to wait too.  I am going to be positively radioactive by the time I am cleared for 'life' again.  Damn, these people like to do tests-  a week ago all I had was a sore shoulder!  

After the doc I ran a bunch of errands and did a grocery shopping  and when I got home TY wanted to go to Charlies Reef Room for lunch, a fish joint we have been going to for over twenty years now.  So out we headed again.  I am now completely wiped out so am going to go READ A BOOK for something completely different.  First I'll finish this though because I know you are dyin' to know what I've mined in the internet trenches lately, right?  I sure have a pile of stuff to show you, I'll divvy it up over the next few days.






Great article in Textile Artist about ‘finding one’s voice’.  Check Emma Wigginton's website for more of her work. 

  • INCOMPLETE MANIFESTO FOR CHANGE     Bruce Mau
  • Allow events to change you. 
    You have to be willing to grow. Growth is different from something that happens to you. You produce it. You live it. The prerequisites for growth: the openness to experience events and the willingness to be changed by them.



Wendy Moyer's interview , speaking about the flower sculptures she does at her home in Mexico:   "Fabric – my medium of choice – specifically up-cycled discarded clothing or clothing that has reached the final link in fashion’s merchandising chain. I suppose the choice to work with discarded fashions came innately from early childhood spent with my maternal grandmother, a professional seamstress and a collector of all the scraps from alterations. Also, I live in Mexico and most of the fabric in fabric stores is not very high quality. Whereas I can get a wide variety and good quality designer fabrics scouring the clothing stalls at our ‘mercados.’ However that process is ‘catch as catch can’. Needless to say my studio is filled with discarded fashions I’ve picked up when I see them and all awaiting use when inspiration strikes.
While I use both natural and synthetic fibers, synthetics tend to be my ‘go-to’ fabrics since my primary sculpting technique involves fire and taking advantage of synthetic’s melting point. That said, sometimes the gossamer quality of silk is desired for a particular look. In those cases I’ve found that if I coat the fabric in a white glue and water mixture, when dry, the thin coating allows the fabric to respond much like a synthetic when ‘fire sculpting’. The sculpting time is far less since it is just a coating that can burn away, but if I’m quick about it the fire can still give it form without the loss of its diaphanous appearance.I work with all kinds of fabric. So I think it goes without saying that sewing techniques are involved. Most often I opt for hand sewing, applying tucks or pleats on the fly as I sculpt, because many of my subjects are either small or quite intricate, or both"







More 3D embroidered natural forms from  Lyndsay Taylor   She garners inspiration from the ‘abundant beauty and untamed, intricate shapes of the natural world’. She works primarily in three dimensions and weaves natural hand-dyed fabrics into organic forms.

And one last 3D 'natural form:  A squirrel in his underpants.  You may think this a frivolous purchase but I am stocking up in case I catch a whole nest of them at once. If you beat me, contact me for some of mine.  (Adult M squirrel sized.)

1 comment :

Mary Beth Frezon said...

Bummer about your shoulder. A couple months ago the world's-worst-doctor told me I should not take motrin, I should move my arms as much as possible and use salonpas stick on patches. She then prescribed -motrin- and I used the patches (thereby smelling like peppermint ALL the time) and well, couldn't really move my arms. Diligent use of the motrin worked some but now I'm thinking of refilling it to see if I can make it all go away. Damn bodies...