Saturday, November 16, 2013

diminution cranny holeable


Here is a lesson in creative writing.
First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Time marches on here in LaLa land, and things aren't getting better.  I've now lost feeling in two fingers on the left hand, and when the arm started hurting I had to quit knitting all together.  I see the ortho guy before I head back to Boston and he already mentioned carpal tunnel BUT we need to get the shoulder fixed first.  I'd kill for an Advil but stopped taking them because I don't need my stomach eaten away on top of all this other disintegration!  And you thought I'd stop whining?  HA!

I did manage to get to the studio yesterday but only for a short time.  I cut out a jacket and made some preliminary fabric and design choices.  One Lonni Rossi fabric I had around but only in a very small chunk and of course it's perfect as binding on the edges of a very large home dec print.  I did a google search for it and didn't find it, which didn't surprise me as I've had it for ages-  I think it was part of one of her earliest collections.  Oh well, it forces me to find something else that will work, and those kind of problems are frankly what fires me up to push into new territory.  This is a red-orange sleeveless jacket with giant black and rust floral and branch designs and MAYBE IT NEEDS SOME TURQUOISE...  A nice diagonal stripe?  Neck binding ?  Or maybe a front facing!  It will be fun to find something already on the shelves-  I have a moratorium on anything new in the fabric department, now having enough for the rest of my life and whoever gets the mess afterwards!  
Last trip to Boston I grabbed a few pictures from the early 70's of TY and me at our engagement party, all four parents standing together at their first meeting, and another one of me with both my parents.  But my favorites are two pictures of my rabbit, 'Br'er'.  This was our first purchase together when we had just started dating and we had to pool our money to come up with the $3 he cost!  I remember driving home with him in a tiny box, scared to death.  In no time he was running my life and was great company for me without any demands other than food, water and a clean litter box.  Rabbits are great house pets, and I gave him free run of my minuscule studio apartment.  He would hop to the door to greet me when I came home from work and school, he would keep me from leaving on too many lights by chewing through the electric cords, and he modified all my furniture by rounding any sharp corner edges.  In return I would give him chocolate chips and teach him to hop across the room on his hind legs for them.  Here he is in mid-trick:
I've got LOTS of Br'er stories...
*********************************************





The other day I showed you some plates on the walls that had a sort of toile look to them.  They were done by Molly Hatch and I loved them, all of them, and stuck them in my 'covet' on Pinterest.  They were available at Anthropologie for megabucks because they were all hand painted and oh-so-cool.  Then in my sniffing around I found these chairs and wouldn't you know, they too are hand painted by the same artist and all are different-  how wonderful to have a set of these!  But dammit, I don't need chairs!  And I'm afraid these may be a tad over the top of most people's budgets.  I'm thinking that pretty soon my own chairs may need reupholstery and I have some pretty messy drop cloths...  hmmmmm.  





Cross stitch pixilations by Los Angeles-based artist Diane Meyer.  She has been using old family photographs showing her childhood in rural New Jersey, and meticulously embroidering them with chunky pixel-like cross stitch that both enhances and obscures the images of the past.

 Now contrast the above with this work by Johan Rosenmunthe-  similar effect with pixilations!
Copenhagen-based artist Johan Rosenmunthe has been exploring these themes of the modern era in his series two part series Off, creating photographically sharp environments filled with individuals blurred out in pixelated 8-bit form. As he puts it: “Never have we had access to so much information about each other, and never has the information been so unreliable.” 



This guy preferred jelly but they were all out so he settled for cinnamon.

No comments :